Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stray Pink Salmon in the UK?  (Read 2117 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Stray Pink Salmon in the UK?
« on: August 14, 2015, 09:25:29 AM »

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/unusual-fish-caught-off-the-coast-of-south-shields-1-7398369

I wonder if they made it there by swimming through a warmer than normal arctic ocean?

Tylsie

Re: Stray Pink Salmon in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 11:28:16 AM »

That is a crazy migration for a fish on a two year cycle. Even from Alaska, to swim through the Arctic then across the Atlantic they must of been following the ultimate food source. But that alone worries me. If they had to travel that far to feed, how will the pinks and socks that stay here fair?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 12:02:32 PM »

No. Obviously pink salmon in the Pacific are not going to swim all the way to the UK. Pink salmon have been introduced to Umba River in Western Russia (or attempts) for a few decades now. Stray pink salmon have been caught in the UK before, this isn't the first time. Scientists believe these are from those transplanted populations, which have also been recorded in Norwegian rivers in the past already.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 02:03:31 PM »

Try doing a search on salmon in the MacKenzie River NWT.  Here's a good article from A River Never Sleeps: http://ariverneversleeps.com/arctic-salmon/

Thousands of Chum have been caught in the MacKenzie. While Pacific Salmon seem to be moving east along the Arctic Coast, Atlantic Salmon to be moving west and into Hudson's Bay.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Tangles

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 07:40:02 PM »

Amazing, thanks for that article, I have a buddy who works on MacKenzie I'll send it over to cheer him up a bit ;D
By the way I was reading in another article that Chum and Pinks would sometimes interbreed and the result is called Miko salmon which is sterile. That would be some freaky catch!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 08:16:21 PM »

Probably the work of the Bucket Brigade  ;D ;D