Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Number of hooks  (Read 2033 times)

rootbeer

Number of hooks
« on: August 05, 2015, 05:04:10 PM »

This has likely been discussed before, I know I've read some discussions about it in the past, but usually about specific lakes, streams etc. The regs state that your license allows you to "angle … fish (with or without a rod) with one fishing line to which only one hook, one artificial lure OR one artificial fly is attached."

So on a lake such as Monte Lake that does not have any other restrictions does that mean that if I use a hootchie, I can only have one single hook?  Or can I use a tandem hook?  A discussion on another website suggests that the tandem hook is legal.  I'm confused.

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Number of hooks
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 06:45:06 PM »

--sounds like you're a kokanee guy.

-- hoochie is...one artificial lure...so unless the lake has a specific like single barbless only reg then the hoochie rig would be legal.

--I usually take the second hook off... especially if I am going to release fish as the trailing hook often gets into the gills.

--Have to be careful with the kokanee rigs as often we fish for kokanee in larger lakes where the single barbless rule is in place.

rootbeer

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 10:50:35 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  Usually I fish single, barbless hooks when fishing for trout as I release most of the trout I catch.  In this instance I will be fishing for something for the dinner table, so I wanted to try a couple of hootchies rigged with a tandem hook to see if it made any difference.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 11:32:44 AM »

--When going to single hook on the hoochie rig I move the single hook back near or slightly exposed at the back of the hoochie as that is where kokanee seem to like to bite.
--I don't find that I lose many fish with the single hook... you do have to pay attention but good practice for when you get the big ones.