Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help selecting deep cycle boat batteries.  (Read 2045 times)

Steelie1030

Need help selecting deep cycle boat batteries.
« on: August 04, 2015, 08:19:31 AM »

Hi there
I need to buy two new batteries for a 14 foot Lowe boat and I want to know what make of battery is the best for the job. Optimum has fairly good ratings from the research I've done. What make has worked for you and where is the best place to buy them. I don't want the cheapest, I want good quality, long lasting batteries and am willing to pay for good ones.. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

ja

Re: Need help selecting deep cycle boat batteries.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 09:08:44 AM »

I've seemed to have a lot of success with the deep cycle batteries at Costco.  Good value and dependable.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 01:45:39 PM »

I've got an optima red top in my stroker mustang, which I find useful with a high torque starter. But I can't justify the blue top Optimas for the price they run for a boat even if money is no object.

Morty

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 01:58:52 PM »

I used to sell lead acid batteries for a company now owned by East Penn  (Google them )  They are a world leader in battery technology and quality.  Quality is so high that they are both original equipment and branded replacement on CAT, Freightliner and Kenworth.  In addition to their DEKA brand, I believe they also manufacture the Optimum line.  They even have a sealed. gel Deep Cycle.

They have a facility in Langley 604 455-0355.  I am sure they can point you to a retailer near  where you are.

also  www.eastpenncanada.com
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 05:52:38 PM »

i have a costco kirkland deep cycle thats 5 years old that is still going strong ! i think alot has to do with charging them, on how long they will last !

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 10:02:00 PM »

i have a costco kirkland deep cycle thats 5 years old that is still going strong ! i think alot has to do with charging them, on how long they will last !

Yep you nailed it. Loooow and slooooow when charging deep cycles.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 12:12:03 PM »

I have a NAPA deep cycle 4 years old and still as good as day I bought it. My charger has "deep cycle" mode which I use and I charge it at 2amp. I also keep it hooked up to the charger (kicks off when full and on when charge drops).

Keep your deep cycle on a trickle charge and try to charge it back up as soon as you can after depleting it.

Next time around I would get one of those sealed gel ones discussed. Checking the water level and topping up with distilled water is a bit of a pain.