Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What will you do?  (Read 6069 times)

Scooterguy

What will you do?
« on: August 02, 2015, 11:35:21 PM »

Hello all,

I was fishing with my kid at Squamish today. Then there was a boat drifting in well within our casting lure. The worst part was he casted his line toward the shore where we fish. This was on going continuously until I had have enough. I told the kids to pack up and drive to different location

I was very upset but I did not want to bleep and bleep to the guys on the boat in front of my kids. I kept casting my line to his boat to send the message that you were too close. It was not cool at all. I have to watch his boat and his line when we cast our lines. It was very disturbing. These 2 guys and a lady were not very cool. I am sure all the guys on shore thinking the same but the boat was not in front of them.
 >:(
I wonder what will you do if you are facing this situation :-\.

The bottom line is I want to send the message to people fish from the boat. Please respect other fisherman around you. Thank you

EZ_Rolling

Re: What will you do?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 08:17:33 AM »

nobody owns their desired spot to fish you had the option to move or adjust

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 08:37:18 AM »

Cast at him.  Lands in thats his problem.

nobody owns their desired spot to fish you had the option to move or adjust
He did just that, moved and adjusted.  As much as I agree with not owning a spot, there is still etiquette that applies to all fishing scenarios.  Parking a boat in front of and within someone's fishing  range is NOT within any etiquette guidelines.  It is up to the boat angler in this case to avoid conflict and move.  Which obviously didnt happen.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 08:59:37 AM »

Why is it up to the boat to move ? Both parties have equal access , this is a shared resource

I am not saying the either party is right or wrong but why do you feel the boat needs to move?
Me and my buddy were on anchor at the cap and these guys roll up and start casting and yelling at us that we needed to move because they needed room .... Was this ok?

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 10:20:24 AM »

Why is it up to the boat to move ? Both parties have equal access , this is a shared resource

I am not saying the either party is right or wrong but why do you feel the boat needs to move?
Me and my buddy were on anchor at the cap and these guys roll up and start casting and yelling at us that we needed to move because they needed room .... Was this ok?
I mentioned why I think the boat needs to move, having moved into a spot already being fished (according to the info) by a shore angler. 

IF you think a boat has the right to move into a spot someone is fishing within their range, and that angler has to move, then I would take the assumption when your fishing you would be fine with someone just walking in front of you if your on shore.  It is quite simple, move into a spot someone is fishing, expect to be annoying people.  doesn't matter if its a boat going infront of someone fishing, or a shore angler walking into the region a boat is fishing.  in either case, the person intruding has the ability to make the decision to not to.  To intrude is just a lack of courtesy.

losos

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 11:46:54 AM »

It depends whether you guys gave them enough space.
You're right that everybody have or should have equal access ,that however doesn't mean that people should push their way in every gap between anglers.
I'm tired of other anglers that butt in so close that it impedes reasonable space for fishing enjoyment.
One should either get  earlier or find some other spot.
Do you enjoy others interfering with your casting and drifting?
Some  countries adopted rule that there is certain distance to maintain between anglers and this is stipulated in official fishing rules.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 11:55:41 AM by losos »

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 11:48:50 AM »

I was fishing with my kid at Squamish today. Then there was a boat drifting in well within our casting lure. The worst part was he casted his line toward the shore where we fish.

Setting up outside a shore fishers casting distance then fishing the same piece of water is OK to me. But it sounds like the boat came and set up where the OP was actually originally casting which is not cool.

If the boat had been there first, he could have anchored where ever they want. They would be rightfully ticked if a guy suddenly walks up on shore and bounces buzz bombs off their hull.

Coming into a pre-oocupied spot, shouldnt they recognize the current situation a bit more and set up in a way where both parties have more equitable accesss to the resource?

Morty

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 11:52:03 AM »

IF you think a boat has the right to move into a spot someone is fishing within their range, and that angler has to move, then I would take the assumption when your fishing you would be fine with someone just walking in front of you if your on shore.  It is quite simple, move into a spot someone is fishing, expect to be annoying people.  doesn't matter if its a boat going infront of someone fishing, or a shore angler walking into the region a boat is fishing.  in either case, the person intruding has the ability to make the decision to not to.  To intrude is just a lack of courtesy.

Good point Clarkii, and I think the key phrase in what you wrote was "fishing within their range".  At the risk of this topic going sideways... I raise the case of a crowded Chilliwack channel during Sockeye season.  I have fished both the 'boat side' and the 'walk-in' side and with patience and co-operation the logistics can work out.  Granted that is a likely a wider stretch of water than the original situation in this thread was about, but there are fishers who can cast far enough that lines can tangle across the channel.
(BTW even with all the fishers at that location I have only seen cross-channel hook-ups max 1 time per day.  Often none.  it's practically a miracle that a 3/4" hook even grabbed a miniscule line in that huge volume of water.  Most casts that hook can't even find a 6lb salmon ;))

My point in support of Clarkii's comment is when selecting a place to settle in for a while we need to give consideration to the space available and show respect for those who were already there before us, and as often as possible - at least ask the fisher who's already there if it's OK with them if you come into the area.  Almost every time I have asked I have received an understandable reason why not, or acceptance.  Very often the other guys adjust and create some space.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 11:59:18 AM »

Several years back I recall a cartopper came too close to the shorecasters off Ambleside. One of caster took matters into his own hands and cast a buzz bomb into the cartopper. The boat operator cut the line and kept the buzz bomb. All hell broke loose.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 10:24:51 PM »

I don't like it when others encroach on my space. And I always feel if someone was there first, they should be given the space to fish that location and not be forced out by rudeness.
However...
How close is too close? Some would argue an angler standing 50 yards away is too close; others 5 yards. I tend not to let myself get too worked up. People have different perspectives on etiquette and what is acceptable based on thier life experiences and fishing knowledge.
My advice would be to polietly let the person know why they may be too close (no safe, will cross lines, etc) and if they ignore it then I usually move. For me it's not worth the frustration and when my kids are there it is a good teachable moment to educate the young ones of polite behaviour and etiquette. Take it as an opportunity to seek out and learn a new location. You may surprise yourself and find a new honey hole.

Then again, some people get really defensive of "their spot" and feel there is no better place to be.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 12:32:21 AM »

Hello all,

I was fishing with my kid at Squamish today. Then there was a boat drifting in well within our casting lure. The worst part was he casted his line toward the shore where we fish. This was on going continuously until I had have enough. I told the kids to pack up and drive to different location

I was very upset but I did not want to bleep and bleep to the guys on the boat in front of my kids. I kept casting my line to his boat to send the message that you were too close. It was not cool at all. I have to watch his boat and his line when we cast our lines. It was very disturbing. These 2 guys and a lady were not very cool. I am sure all the guys on shore thinking the same but the boat was not in front of them.
 >:(
I wonder what will you do if you are facing this situation :-\.

The bottom line is I want to send the message to people fish from the boat. Please respect other fisherman around you. Thank you

What the boaters did was the wrong thing (intruded on the quiet enjoyment of a kid's fishing). You did the right thing by walking away and not making a scene (it would have done no good to yell at the boaters or toss lures at their boat, as they surely knew they were intruding and did so anyway, showing they were selfish and cared not for your or your kid's enjoyment) .  I only hope you explained to the kids what was wrong with what the boaters did so that they grow up with a certain level of empathy and an understanding of etiquette, so they do not do similar selfish things themselves in the future.
Not all those who wander are lost

Scooterguy

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 12:36:56 AM »

Thank you all comments.

The bottom line is respect other anglers. If you butt in too close, you should expect other anglers upset. On the boat,there is a lot room to fish compare to the guys on shore but with respect you should not cast your line in where we fish. Now we have to either cast our line in front of our neighbor  or wait the guys reeled their lines in then we cast.

The boat was not even anchor. The current kept pushing the boat in closer to shore. My 13 yrs old son will have no trouble to cast his line on to the boat. We stop casting numerous time and wait the boat operator move the boat out again and again. We saw fish in front of us but we could not cast the line. It drove me crazy but all I could do was staring.

I want a quality time with my kids. I do not let the frustration and ruin the our date. That is why I decided to move on.

I am totally agree with all of you. First come first serve. You should respect other angler. If not, I will have my 10 yrs old daughter fish. She will have no idea where she casting her line. Now someone will have a new topic to discuss on LOL.

Thanks to all.

Life is good

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 08:04:41 AM »

-- It's all about the kids. We should all try to give kids and newbies a turn.
-- Take a while to assess the knowledge of the boater or shore fisher.
-- Then decide if some firendly advice is in order or a big stick.

--I won't usually confront someone if I am with others as it puts them in the awkward possiton of supporting you whether they agree or not with your assessment.

--Moving on with a I wouldn't want to see you guys do that if you're in a boat to the kids is a good lesson learned.
--If you say nothing to the kids they may one day be fishing in a boat and think it is OK to move in on a spot without thinking about it. 

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 03:57:58 PM »

Any boat angler that thinks they can own a spot at the mouth of the Cap in an ebb tide is on crack.
The shore anglers can barely reach the fish at the best of times, while you can move.
As soon as the buzz bombs get close I pull anchor and find another slot.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 04:42:47 PM »

Boating anglers encroaching on shore anglers space is getting to be a bigger and more common problem every year. Never use to happen much but those are the old days. Old rule of thumb was boat anglers give other anglers (boat or shore) space equal to 2x a maximum cast. Some boat anglers including guides just tend to ignore shore anglers - angling in popular spots is just becoming a 3d experience. Never hurts to ask them to provide some space otherwise use the method competing shore anglers use - time casts so every one gets an alternating shot at a good drift or retrieve.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.