Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Translation pls... Solmuv. Knutavst. Smelt net mystery  (Read 2568 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Translation pls... Solmuv. Knutavst. Smelt net mystery
« on: August 02, 2015, 04:05:56 PM »

I just purchased a smelt net from Army and Navy made by Pacific Net and Twine. Their website says that the net is DFO regulation and "REGULATION SIZE & LENGTH FOR CATCHING SMELTS IN B.C. WHICH IS 25 FEET. NETS MANUFACTURED IN EUROPE"

The regulation mesh size is 25-50 mm.

The label on the package is not in English. One of the dimensions is Solmuv. Knutavst. 15 mm.  I suspect that the mesh size is 15 mm. Google translate doesn't help, but it might be Estonian :)

Of course Pacific Net is closed until Tues. Can anybody confirm?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 04:09:45 PM by clarki »

StillAqua

Re: Translation pls... Solmuv. Knutavst. Smelt net mystery
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 04:22:37 PM »

Can you stretch it out and measure the mesh size yourself? Could the 15mm be the mesh side length rather than the mesh size? If so, 15 mm would be about 30mm mesh size.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 05:30:19 PM by StillAqua »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 01:36:18 PM »

An excellent suggestion! Do it yourself...  :)

However I've spent the past 20 minutes searching the DFO website to see how they determine mesh size and come up blank, however I think you are correct. Mesh size seems to be the distance between 2 opposite knots stretched out (according to a YouTube vid), so 15 mm between knots would give you a 30mm mesh size. Thx

And I just measured it. Knot to knot it is about 7mm and 2 opposite knots stretched out is 15mm. Seems to be undersized. Hmmm...

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 01:46:53 PM by clarki »

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 03:01:57 PM »

An excellent suggestion! Do it yourself...  :)

However I've spent the past 20 minutes searching the DFO website to see how they determine mesh size and come up blank, however I think you are correct. Mesh size seems to be the distance between 2 opposite knots stretched out (according to a YouTube vid), so 15 mm between knots would give you a 30mm mesh size. Thx

And I just measured it. Knot to knot it is about 7mm and 2 opposite knots stretched out is 15mm. Seems to be undersized. Hmmm...

That's what scissors are for 8)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 03:52:45 PM »

That's what scissors are for 8)

7.5 metres by 1.8 metres with a mesh of 7mm equals almost 275,000 cells.

Your practicality is matched only by your spelling prowess :)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 09:09:12 PM »

I debated letting this post die a natural death and run off the page, but I am compelled to publically announce that I am a bona fide idiot.

Turns out there are 10 mm in a cm, not 5. Go figure! ::)

My measuring implement had 5 hash marks per cm, so I took each mark as a mm. So, in actual fact, the net mesh size is twice as big as I thought it was. It's 30 mm and regulation size after all.

I'm starting up a home renovation business. Make sure you take my quote and double it ;D