Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon Confidential Film Tour  (Read 3862 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Salmon Confidential Film Tour
« on: February 22, 2013, 01:39:40 PM »

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
Re: Salmon Confidential Film Tour
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 02:11:07 PM »

grassroots science-based activism

grass roots yes, science based....not so much. 
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 06:39:19 PM »

With all the muzzling of the scientists going on, I don't believe anybody has any idea of what the "science" is.  :(
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

gilbey

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 11:23:28 PM »

With all the muzzling of the scientists going on, I don't believe anybody has any idea of what the "science" is.  :(
How fricken true and such a sorry lot of politicians that have been elected,
 it's beyond belief...

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 06:48:36 AM »

How fricken true and such a sorry lot of politicians that have been elected,
 it's beyond belief...

So true, ask AF, they're his party.....lol
Take the T out of Morton.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 01:52:24 PM »

lol, aquapaloosa aren't you supposed to be wearing a muzzle when in public?
 ;D

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 11:02:52 PM »

Hey, if you are concerned where some of this "science" (or gaps in science) we are talking about is coming from you might want to check out the Cohen Commission website and ultimately the Cohen Final Report.  Dr. Kristi Miller, Dr. Are Nylund, Dr. Kyle Garver, Dr. Josh Korman, Dr. Larry Dill and Dr. Kilbenge are contributors to this "science".  For some reason they were not muzzled while providing testimony.  In addition, a total of 12 technical reports on this “science” were produced during the inquiry by governmental and non-governmental scientists to help investigate the decline of Fraser Sockeye Salmon.  It involved hours of time by public servants to put together hundreds of documents and emails for the commission because transparency was so important.  This “science” was put under cross-examination by government, industry, First Nation and conservation legal teams.  This “science” was then documented in pages and pages of published transcripts and exhibits for the public to view.  It was all brought together by in a Final Report (also made public) by an actual judge who based his findings and recommendations on that scientific evidence as well as the lack of scientific evidence.  Is the “science” perfect?  Definitely not….and this was presented in the final report.  That is why there are people attempting to work on some of these gaps in knowledge right now – not involving trips to the supermarket looking for media coverage making it seem like actual “science” is being accomplished.

Better question….where is your “science” coming from?  Oh yeah, it is now being put in a movie where the actual findings and recommendations in the Cohen Report have likely been ignored and substituted with “grassroots science-based activism” brought forward by an individual that has no idea about fish diseases or fish biology and deflects questions to her followers.  Although our present leadership does not seem to value the opinions of its scientists what is equally unfortunate is when “science” done by many good individuals who understand fish biology is edited (to put it politely) by others to further an agenda.

StillAqua

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 04:43:53 AM »

Hey, if you are concerned where some of this "science" (or gaps in science) we are talking about is coming from you might want to check out the Cohen Commission website and ultimately the Cohen Final Report.  Dr. Kristi Miller, Dr. Are Nylund, Dr. Kyle Garver, Dr. Josh Korman, Dr. Larry Dill and Dr. Kilbenge are contributors to this "science".  For some reason they were not muzzled while providing testimony. 

Kristi Miller wasn't muzzled because it was a judicial inquiry and she and the government had to legally comply.......but if you recall, when Kristi Miller's paper on the genomic profiles that suggested a pathogen in Fraser fish affecting survival first came out, it was her co-authors at UBC that had to speak to the media about the work because Miller wasn't allowed by the Harper government to speak about her tax-payer funded research. But now, the Harper government has tried to close that loophole with new policies about information disclosure restrictions on collaborating researchers (discussed in another thread). I find that kind of muzzling and information control by a government frightening and anti-democratic.......

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 08:36:57 PM »

Kristi Miller wasn't muzzled because it was a judicial inquiry and she and the government had to legally comply.......but if you recall, when Kristi Miller's paper on the genomic profiles that suggested a pathogen in Fraser fish affecting survival first came out, it was her co-authors at UBC that had to speak to the media about the work because Miller wasn't allowed by the Harper government to speak about her tax-payer funded research. But now, the Harper government has tried to close that loophole with new policies about information disclosure restrictions on collaborating researchers (discussed in another thread). I find that kind of muzzling and information control by a government frightening and anti-democratic.......

I believe you are correct as I seem to recall her saying during her testimony that she was still talking about the paper with collegues.  The paper was also published and out in the public so it wasn't secret; however, the policy that has come out now will likely change the playing field which is discouraging to say the least because it is these sorts of actions which fuel conspiracies and distrust from the public.  What I think people need to understand was that it wasn't the department that "discouraged" Dr. Miller from media interviews - it was the Privy Council Office.  There are people trying to do good work in fisheries, but it doesn't help when they are fighting a PR battle at the same time.  They are biologists - not politicians.  They have a passion for what they do.  They could care less about votes and polls.  I mean, in a way, AF is not incorrect to have some mistrust because our present leadership is not doing much lately to prove him wrong.  However, I think Cohen (although a boom for lawyers) brought out some good, relevant science on Fraser Sockeye where scientists were able to have a forum to speak about what they are seeing.  As for the recommendations....well....I agree with what you said in the other thread about it. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 07:47:13 AM »

I believe the film will be screened here in Chilliwack on June 1 during the find raiser event I spoke about a few weeks ago. More details to follow.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer