Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1343995 times)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #2955 on: March 06, 2018, 04:04:02 PM »

I have not been able to find that video on sea lice and migrating smolts.  But I will keep searching.
It depicted small salmon netted adjacent to salmon farm nets literally covered with lice.  They were not healthy looking fish.  It made a believer in me that fish farms do impact wild salmon stocks.
  Was it around this time by chance?
 http://www.farmfreshsalmon.org/alexandra-morton-biologists-gone-bad

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2957 on: March 06, 2018, 07:32:09 PM »

Chris when salmon farms are gone

What kind of increase returns can we start to expect? 5% 10%

AKA can you provide me with the current damage they are currently doing?

or is all this just wishful thinking?

I just want to know so I have a metric to compare to when they are gone

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2958 on: March 06, 2018, 08:37:02 PM »

http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouver/2018/03/05/first-nation-chief-urges-b-c-feds-to-follow-phase-out-fish-farms.html
It shows how poorly the writer researched this when you see a mistake in the picture before you even read the article.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2959 on: March 07, 2018, 07:48:08 AM »

Chris when salmon farms are gone

What kind of increase returns can we start to expect? 5% 10%

AKA can you provide me with the current damage they are currently doing?

or is all this just wishful thinking?

I just want to know so I have a metric to compare to when they are gone
As you know fish farms are just part of the problem and I know you also know the other factors that have caused the decline the last number of years, we are all to blame as well.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2960 on: March 07, 2018, 08:13:40 AM »

That’s for sure we all need to do our part in helping salmon and steelhead recover.

Chris with the removal of fish farms do u support giving the commercial(including economic aboriginal fisheries) sector a larger portion of the pie? so that the avg Canadian that does not fish will have access to wild salmon?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:40:22 AM by wildmanyeah »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2961 on: March 07, 2018, 03:08:59 PM »

It shows how poorly the writer researched this when you see a mistake in the picture before you even read the article.

Looks like the bear has an Atlantic in it's mouth. ;D
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2962 on: March 07, 2018, 03:16:16 PM »

Looks like the bear has an Atlantic in it's mouth. ;D
You need a fish id course ...

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2963 on: March 07, 2018, 03:52:37 PM »

Their are some Southern Resident Killer Whales that are definitely not happy with that bear.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #2964 on: March 07, 2018, 03:53:42 PM »

That’s for sure we all need to do our part in helping salmon and steelhead recover.

Chris with the removal of fish farms do u support giving the commercial(including economic aboriginal fisheries) sector a larger portion of the pie? so that the avg Canadian that does not fish will have access to wild salmon?
I bet that would be great news for the Alaska salmon farmers.
http://salmonbusiness.com/wild-alaskan-salmon-largely-farmed-report/

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2965 on: March 13, 2018, 08:52:03 AM »

https://www.dnr.wa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/PRV%20whitepaper%20revised%20Sept%202017.pdf?3c0h5&b2f0s02j4i

Prepared By
The Pacific Northwest Fish Health Protection Committee
By
T.R. Meyers

Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Juneau Fish Pathology Laboratory

Summary Conclusion Based on Available Data: The ubiquitous nature of piscine orthoreovirus (PRV), its apparent historic presence in wild Pacific salmonid stocks in the Pacific Northwest and the lack of clear association with disease in Pacific
salmonids suggest the virus poses a low risk to wild species of Pacific salmonids.

Why PRV in the PNW is of low risk regarding HSMI in wild Pacific Salmonids

1. The disease “heart and skeletal muscle inflammation” (HSMI) has not been reported in wild
salmon populations in Norway or elsewhere and appears to only be a threat to farmed fish
2. While PRV causes HSMI in farmed Norwegian Atlantic salmon, high levels of PRV genetic
material have been detected in asymptomatic wild and cultured salmonids with no evidence of
HSMI disease
3. Histopathological lesions of HSMI were recently described as statistically correlated with the
presence of PRV at one Atlantic salmon farm in British Columbia, Canada (BC) while other
studies have detected the presence of PRV genetic material in wild and cultured Chinook, coho
and pink salmon and steelhead trout from Washington State, BC and Alaska where years of
surveillance have reported no presence of HSMI
4. Molecular testing of archived fish tissues in BC has shown that PRV was present in
asymptomatic wild and farmed Pacific salmon since 1987 and may have been present as early as
1977 before Atlantic salmon were imported for aquaculture
5. HSMI has not been reported in Pacific salmon or steelhead in North America to date
6. Laboratory studies with Chinook and sockeye salmon have demonstrated that PRV is infectious
and will persist for quite some time but does not cause fish mortality, HSMI, or any other
apparent disease
7. Development of HSMI and HSMI-like diseases of farmed salmonids (Atlantic and coho
salmon; rainbow trout) infected by PRV may be a result of different viral strains, host specific
antiviral responses and environmental stressors that do not appear to be present or active for
indigenous salmon on the Pacific Coast
8. The presence of PRV genetic material in Pacific salmon tissues is not sufficient evidence
for HSMI disease

The PRV strain present in indigenous Pacific salmon in the PNW, historically and experimentally, appears to be relatively benign and unable to produce significant disease or HSMI in native salmonids.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:15:07 AM by wildmanyeah »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2966 on: March 13, 2018, 12:26:07 PM »

But Almo says this is a disaster waiting to happen ... how could Alaskan, Washington State and Canadian scientists get this wrong?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:51:22 PM by Dave »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2968 on: March 14, 2018, 09:35:57 AM »

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/mobile/b-c-first-nation-in-federal-court-in-bid-to-halt-fish-farm-restocking-1.3841546

Did you read what wildmanyeah posted just above yours?    I think your'e dreaming if you think the Namgis will win this.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #2969 on: March 14, 2018, 03:57:29 PM »

But Almo says this is a disaster waiting to happen ... how could Alaskan, Washington State and Canadian scientists get this wrong?
Looks like not much has changed with her over the years.
http://business.financialpost.com/opinion/junk-science-week-this-science-is-fishy