Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Machinery Knowledge  (Read 2245 times)

SnaggedADuck

Machinery Knowledge
« on: April 24, 2009, 09:19:34 PM »

So I learned some new modeling software and thought that I might want to take it one step further and try my luck at making a fishing reel.  Is anyone knowledgeable enough to tell me what a good lathe/mill combo make and model is?  I don't have 20 grand for a CNC one unless its used and SIGNIFICANTLY less.  Just some ideas for me to look up and research, a start is all I ask for...right now.

Example of what I would like to try

SAD

BOWHUNTER

Re: Machinery Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 10:05:15 PM »

honestly if you are thinking of just trying out a few things I would get a couple made by a cnc mill guy if you want any proper balance to the holes in the perimeter ect it will be very difficult to make that happen with a lower cost machine. Then once you are happy with what you have if you want to go the next step and make many of them then start looking at machines that will do exactly what you need to complete the design you require.

http://www.levelzeromotorsports.com/store/index.php?osCsid=55f4d7a3a885cbf09ab234b29ecba128 

that guy is in maple ridge and can do a very good job for reasonable pricing, he has a mill tell him Metaltropolis sent you,

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 02:05:10 AM »

Bowhunter do you do metal work?

Are you able to make frame that similar to that of a Brutus Ace trap puller?

Thanks

BOWHUNTER

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 08:49:52 PM »

send me a pic of the trap puller and some specs with details,

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 10:02:08 PM »

Okay I'll draw one up and send it to you.

SnaggedADuck

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 11:35:16 AM »

honestly if you are thinking of just trying out a few things I would get a couple made by a cnc mill guy if you want any proper balance to the holes in the perimeter ect it will be very difficult to make that happen with a lower cost machine. Then once you are happy with what you have if you want to go the next step and make many of them then start looking at machines that will do exactly what you need to complete the design you require.

http://www.levelzeromotorsports.com/store/index.php?osCsid=55f4d7a3a885cbf09ab234b29ecba128 

that guy is in maple ridge and can do a very good job for reasonable pricing, he has a mill tell him Metaltropolis sent you,

Sure that sounds like it will work, if you dont mind, do you know anything about mill/lathes as I would mind having one for other work I would like to try

bcguy

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 11:46:42 AM »

For one offs, and prototyping, stick to manual machines, CNC is good if you are looking to get into production, but any machinist worth his salt, can knock you off a prototype, especially, if you have it modeled up, with the correct dimensioning and tolerances.
I would start by doing some reverse engineering on a production reel sold on the open market.
The set up cost for cnc would most likely make it cost prohibitive for a one-off first article...unless you know someone who doesnt mind donating his time to your project. Also if your solid modeling this project, you should have all sorts of tool box software available to you for checking things like balance etc, then you can just give the machinist the file for his CAD/CAM program. After that its just about setting tool paths etc...just my 2 cents.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

SnaggedADuck

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 09:24:43 AM »

I enjoy tinkering around and trying things out on my own, seeing how the feel is before i get too carried away so I would like to get a machine and learn on my own.  I made a net similiar to what rushton does and am glad i tried it.  Thanks for the feedback so far but I would like to try my hand at machining in my spare time. 

Johnny_5

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 11:36:55 AM »

If you are interested these guys do one offs.  I've never tried it, but it does look pretty neat.

http://www.emachineshop.com/

Verdi

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 09:50:08 PM »

Sounds like you want to do it on your own. So i would suggest you, look around at the auctions and, put an ad on craigslist. I even bet there are some places that will give you an old lathe free if you pick it up.

The lathe mill combos are OK, but you are better off with an lathe and a mill seperate or a drill press, instead of a mill.

For brands i would get anything that is not too worn out, and is not made in China,  Taiwan is the best for cheap.
German, england, USA, Japan are more expensive. be careful with the eastern European stuff too.

The only thing is if you buy a cheap belt drive lathe that runs on 120v or 220v it will lack power which equals time, So you are in no rush so just take light cuts, and you will be fine.
You also don't have to buy any fancy tools High Speed Steel blanks and a bench grinder is all you need for the lathe, for Aluminum

I have done precision job on some old worn machines you just need to take out the back lash..

Lots of the stuff will be 3 phase so you will need and transformer.

It also depend on how much room you have you could even get a bench top lathe,mill.

The only problem will be putting the holes in the reel at an even space, with out a radial table or cnc you will have to hand layout and drill, so you will need to balance the reel later by adding weight or removing material in spots..

Good luck

I have access to a full cnc machine shop and still buy my reels..I have always wanted to make a c/p reel though.

If you want some tips i am a Tool and die maker/ machinist for 20 years.

SnaggedADuck

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 10:10:31 PM »

thanks verdi, you will probably hear from me in the future  :)