Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River parking and access update  (Read 12832 times)

fic

• Old Timer
Re: Stave River parking and access update
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 06:56:15 AM »

There are people living on all the rivers. Should we all just stop fishing to respect their neighbourhood? 

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 07:33:01 AM »

Not that many years ago they did not have the big chum run on that river so they did not have all the people there trying to catch those zombies wit the big teeth sticking out all akimbo. Now they have they have lots of people parking everywhere leaving garbage and what not. No differant than what happened on the west side of the Seymore river and others where the people who lived there just got fed up with the crap. Nearby Silverdale bar got closed down by the first nations because of the incredible amount of garbage left by people fishing and that used to be a great spot for bar fishing. Face it every place that gets abused by slob fishers are going to get shut down.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 09:28:50 AM »

This is sure a popular topic  :o
Less rationalizing poor behavior and more respect for the neighborhoods, riverbanks and fish would be a better path to take if we want to continue enjoying this great resource and its access points, IMHO.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 11:17:12 AM »

Very interesting. I am a little surprised by some of the responses to local residents' concerns. Good luck with maintaining open access with that attitude in the next 6 years while construction takes place.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 04:21:04 PM »

They are bothered with the noise from a few fishermen wonder how they feel about the huge increase in jet boats.....

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 04:49:09 PM »

Or, you know, the Hydro trucks that go blowing up Hayward. I dont think I could slam my car door loud enough to match the diesels.

Very interesting. I am a little surprised by some of the responses to local residents' concerns. Good luck with maintaining open access with that attitude in the next 6 years while construction takes place.

Yet a handful of noisy fisherman in the morning is the main concern vs the sounds of Construction...

Im in no way saying to not have some respect and decency, but people talking, is just the stupidest thing to whine about. As well, Im not sure how it will effect the fishing, but I heard the Hatchery is not gonna be stocking the river after next year.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 05:07:27 PM »

X2.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

samw

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 07:22:49 PM »

I'm surprised you're surprised that there will be fishermen on the river in the early mornings.  :)  If I buy a house on Oak St, I'm going to expect a lot of car traffic driving by my house during rush hour.  Some honking will be heard once in a while.  Of course if I bought expensive land on the waterfront, I too wouldn't want many strangers near my property.  But can I honestly expect that to happen?  Did people who bought property on the waterfront near that creek near Squamish really expect people to not fish along that beach?  :)  

To be honest, I don't fish the Stave in the early AM but is the noise problem really a problem or is it exaggerated because owners just don't like the idea of strangers near their land?  Is it much different than that beach where “we recently experienced an invasion of people from outside the <unnamed> community to fish along our waterfront“ ... "for six weeks the community withstood this invasion of our property and civil rights” :)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:31:41 PM by samw »

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 07:36:37 PM »

Well, the thread started with the issue being noise complaints.  I'm surprised you're surprised that there will be fishermen on the river in the early mornings.  :)  If I buy a house on Oak St, I'm going to expect a lot of car traffic driving by my house during rush hour.  Some honking will be heard once in a while.  Of course if I bought expensive land on the waterfront, I too wouldn't want many strangers near my property.  But can I honestly expect that to happen?  Did people who bought property on the waterfront near that creek near Squamish really expect people to not fish along that beach?  :)  

To be honest, I don't fish the Stave in the early AM but is the noise problem really a problem or is it exaggerated because owners just don't like the idea of strangers near their land?  Is it much different than that beach where “we recently experienced an invasion of people from outside the <unnamed> community to fish along our waterfront“ ... "for six weeks the community withstood this invasion of our property and civil rights” :)

I fish it a lot. I do not touch it on weekends, so I cant comment on those days. On weekdays, at first light, you get about 5 people MAX. That means Sunrise is at 7:30, so we all usually show up at about 6:15. As I said earlier in this thread, I generally am alone, once I walked with a group of 4 and we talked the whole way, but no one was yelling or being obnoxious, we talked and laughed a bit. The loudest you will get is 3 cars shutting their doors at once before 7 AM. After 7 the people start to roll in frequently. Maybe they are loud? I have never heard anyone yelling on Hayward from the river. But you betcha I can hear every single vehicle that goes by doing a 80 or 90 klicks, and the turbo diesel trucks. I believe this whole issue is non existent and it is just people who have nothing better to do than complain. I very well could be wrong, and there may be some issues at hand, something I am just not seeing since I am there before loads of folks show up in numbers. I dont doubt that there could be an issue, but I just have not experienced anything, and with the exception of a few, most people fishing have been quite friendly, courteous of other anglers, and all around good sports.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 09:08:32 PM »

How come we don't hear residents complaining about noise at Lickman, Peach Road or Wilson Road on the Vedder ? :)

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 10:32:35 PM »

Vedder has always been busy with fishermen.
Stave only started getting busy 5-7 years ago

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 10:33:49 PM »

How come we don't hear residents complaining about noise at Lickman, Peach Road or Wilson Road on the Vedder ? :)

Because all those places you mention have dedicated parking areas away from the neighbours' windows.

The point is, if enough residents complain, the municipality will take the necessary measures to protect them.
It is the residents who pay property taxes, not the fishermen.

If I owned riverfront property and had to deal with loud and littering anglers on a regular basis, I would do everything in my power to prevent them from accessing the river near my home.

Vedder has always been busy with fishermen.
Stave only started getting busy 5-7 years ago

Not true. The Stave in chum season has been a gong show for as long as I have been fishing in BC - 14 years at least.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 11:05:37 PM »

Wait, the original post was about the east side of the river... Are we talking about that in regards to this disturbance topic? Becuase I dont know where you people are parking, but where I do, I am a half a kilometer from any residential property... If my car door shutting bothers someone a half a kilometer away, well I just dont know what to say. If you guys are talking about the WEST side of the river, then that is a whole different ball game, and I dont know that side of the river very well.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 12:27:45 AM »

I'm surprised you're surprised that there will be fishermen on the river in the early mornings.  :)

That's not what I am surprised about.