Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River parking and access update  (Read 12839 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Stave River parking and access update
« on: October 24, 2012, 03:14:23 PM »

I have been told this week that users who tried to access the east side of Stave River from the bottom end of Hayward Street were turned away or warned that fines will be issued soon for those who do.

Kjle

Re: Stave River parking and access update
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 04:15:41 PM »

I spoke to a Ruskin crescent resident this past week who informed me that the city has approached the residents there and has plans to put up more no parking signs. This is one of the few places to park on the west side of the river. The resident told me that he has no problem with fishermen parking there as long as they are keeping things clean. He thinks it is unfair for the city to take away the few remaining areas to park. He told me we as fishermen should spread the word of this and go to the city if need be.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 04:36:15 PM »

I spoke to a Ruskin crescent resident this past week who informed me that the city has approached the residents there and has plans to put up more no parking signs. This is one of the few places to park on the west side of the river. The resident told me that he has no problem with fishermen parking there as long as they are keeping things clean. He thinks it is unfair for the city to take away the few remaining areas to park. He told me we as fishermen should spread the word of this and go to the city if need be.
It's sounding more a like cash grab by the city rather than protecting pedestrian's safety.  They couldn't find enough violators to tow so they enlarge the trap.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 05:02:13 PM »

Ruskin crescent on some weekends its a gong show, dozens of trucks parked on peoples yards narrow shoulders gardens etc.
Also in front of fire Hydrants, no parking signs and on the Narrow shoulder causing people to pass in the oncoming lane.
Plus garbage snagging leaving gutted fish, oh wait thats me....

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 05:13:04 PM »

If I were a local resident, I would also be forwarding concerns on heavy traffic and littering in or near my front yard. This certainly can be addressed by one of the sportfishing representations in the Lower Mainland to the City of Mission, but ultimately it is up to individual anglers to practice some common sense and respect if we want to ensure access is not lost at any given stream.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 05:23:07 PM »

I stopped by the Stave for a quick look after fishing the Vedder and Chehalis and I really do not understand why anyone would want to fish there.

95% of the chums are all starting to rot and I still still people bagging them.

I don't think they are edible given the body conditions.

Got checked by CO when I was walking out.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 05:39:55 PM »

I have been told this week that users who tried to access the east side of Stave River from the bottom end of Hayward Street were turned away or warned that fines will be issued soon for those who do.

If you arent parking north of Keystone on Hayward, then what will you be ticketed for? Walking up Hayward to the gate at Ruskin?
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 05:42:08 PM »

If you arent parking north of Keystone on Hayward, then what will you be ticketed for? Walking up Hayward to the gate at Ruskin?

The information that I received is that people are being turned away from the gate and told access is prohibited. Those who choose to go past the gate will be ticketed. I could be wrong as I have not fished there for many years, so others who frequently fish the area will need to find out what's going on.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 06:30:52 PM »

The information that I received is that people are being turned away from the gate and told access is prohibited. Those who choose to go past the gate will be ticketed. I could be wrong as I have not fished there for many years, so others who frequently fish the area will need to find out what's going on.
Ahh ok. I wasnt sure if you meant those trespassing on the Ruskin site, or those walking up Hayward. I figured if it was for walking up Hayward, then Id have something to complain about!

DRP79

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 07:30:01 PM »

I was up there the other day for the first time this year and there are signs up there in the fishing area that state that the area is off limits period. I didnt realize till I had been there about an hour though and it was packed with people.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 09:46:34 PM »

The residents have to put up with early mornings of fishermen making so much noise that it wakes them up. How would you like it if guys are slamming car doors laughing and talking way too loud for 5am. They don't realize that people sleep with their windows open and how far noise can travel.  I call that total disrespect for the neighborhood.   
It ain't the roe bro'

dcajaxs

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 10:50:42 PM »

Been in the upper river once and I agree seems like a lot of fish that are lets just say past there prime.  I watched some people putting some questionable fish in garbage bags which I thought my cat wouldn't even eat that.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 10:55:54 PM »

I was there the other day it was a slay fest for fish. Although I was in a boat lol
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 11:39:24 PM »

The residents have to put up with early mornings of fishermen making so much noise that it wakes them up. How would you like it if guys are slamming car doors laughing and talking way too loud for 5am. They don't realize that people sleep with their windows open and how far noise can travel.  I call that total disrespect for the neighborhood.   
So shut the windows... In the 5 degree weather. I agree with you, if they were being disturbed that early with their windows shut. But if they open them, then they open their house to the world around them. We as fishermen, especially in the dark of night/early morning make noise for safety reasons. Out of 6 trips to the stave in the past 3 weeks, I had warnings of bears on 4 of them. One of them the bear was on Hayward. It is not disrespectful to make noise, and I dont believe its excessive when its some talking and laughing. Again, if the windows are closed and these people are disturbed, then I agree with you, its TOO loud. But I usually travel alone, and am pretty silent. So I dont really fall into this category (I did on one of the 6 outings) but even I think its ridiculous to say its our fault, since they left their windows open.

samw

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 02:21:15 AM »

People should know what they are getting into when they buy a house beside a river that is enhanced with hatchery fish or has a strong salmon run.  They should expect fishermen will be on that river.  It is like people should know that if they buy a house beside a baseball field that a few baseballs are going to end up on their lawn or through the window.  If they buy a house underneath the flight path of passenger planes landing at the airport, then they should expect to hear planes fly by.  If they don't like that, they shouldn't buy there.  It goes with the territory.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 02:24:19 AM by samw »