Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Huntin' cuts on the Stave December 27th  (Read 2874 times)

fish2much

• It's all about how you wiggle the worm
Huntin' cuts on the Stave December 27th
« on: December 27, 2006, 12:22:45 AM »

So I went out on the stave today to try out everything I accumulated during Christmas.  I went hunting with my six weight fly rod (of which I am still learning to use) and a whole bunch of flies that everyone swears by.  Well I hunted and hunted, hit seam after seam after undercut bank after plunge pool and only saw two fish make an appearance all day.  The day wasn't completely lacking success as someone was kind enough to show me how to improve my fly cast (in dire need of help  ???).  So four hours weren't completely unproductive.  Could just be one of those days when the bite is not on.

As a quick side note, how have everyone done for steelhead on the Stave, there is supposed to be a run coming in, I'm assuming it's still a few weeks away.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 01:34:25 PM by Rodney »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Huntin' cuts on the Stave
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 01:30:33 PM »

The Stave run of steelhead is not very big. I have landed one steelhead on that system in 4 years. It was a fluke as I was targetting cutties.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

fish2much

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 02:33:23 PM »

Thanks BB,  hey I've noticed from reading one or two posts from you that you seem live in the Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows area.... have you found anything local that you like, or is that on the DL?

P.S. how'd you do for cuts?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 03:29:12 PM »

I do well for cutts more when the frey are in. Winter seems to be a bit tough for them. As far as steel goes the Alouette has some just not as big as the Vedder. Not going to give any of my honey holes away though ;)

Belong to the "4 F Club"

fish2much

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 04:08:13 PM »

yah yah, I understand..... thanks

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 09:01:43 PM »

I went out today on the Stave, and managed to lose one average sized cutt at the beach, that was the only action for an hour and  a half of being there. I saw a couple of mungy coho, and nothing chrome, which I was holding out for...

It was a beautiful day out there!

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Troy_604

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 05:58:51 PM »

wheres a good spot to fish from at stave?  i was near the boat launch today, it was pretty quite, by my reel keeps messing up.  Should I go up past the mud flats?

bcguy

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 08:04:00 PM »

Hey Troy_604, Ive caughtem around the launch before, last time I was up there I had em rising all around me, but couldnt get one to bite, threw every thing at em, but if your heading up that way, maybe try one of the smaller lakes up the Florence FSR, there are some nice size trout up in them.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 08:29:33 PM »

Hey Troy_604, Ive caughtem around the launch before, last time I was up there I had em rising all around me, but couldnt get one to bite, threw every thing at em, but if your heading up that way, maybe try one of the smaller lakes up the Florence FSR, there are some nice size trout up in them.

Florence and Morgan both have good size fish but very difficult to find. Sayres also has some good size fish but they are usually quite deep. Sayres is deceptively deep.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Troy_604

Re: Huntin' cuts on the Stave December 27th
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 08:06:26 PM »

hey, i went to stave today and fished around the boat launch for a couple hours, with a blue fox spinner.  my buddy just had a bobber and some roe.  we didnt get any bites. 
I might go out tomorrow, either back to stave or might try golden ears. :)

bcguy

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 12:26:38 PM »

Was up in Golden Ears Park Sunday, fished all along Gold river down to Allouette Lake, nada, not even a nibble, decided to go over to Mike lake, no luck there, all frozen over, so back to Allouette Lake, fished from shore by the boat launch, nothing for me, but the girlfriend hooked a nice cutthroat.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

fish2much

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 12:11:16 PM »

Well, I didn't end up going to the vedder after all and went a little more local instead.  Headed up to the Stave with fly rod in hand and finally caught something.  It felt funny, had no idea what it was until I saw it,  I ended up hooking into a cherry bomb coho, about a 10-12lbs hatchery hen.  Wasn't quite the coho fight one's used to but it was nice to see some line come off the reel, if only briefly.