Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cleaning and servicing your own baitcaster  (Read 2354 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Cleaning and servicing your own baitcaster
« on: September 17, 2012, 11:54:55 PM »

Any know much about cleaning and getting your baitcaster back into tip-top shape? I usually take my reel into a shop and have it cleaned for 20 bucks, but how is it to do it yourself? i run a Luna 300, Is it better not to tamper with it, or easy enough? Thanks
The Bigger The Better!

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Cleaning and servicing your own baitcaster
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 12:07:34 AM »

I prefer to work on my own stuff as much as I am capable just for the satisfaction I get from it, be it reels, cars, house repair whatever.
Although I have never owned a Luna I am sure you are more then capable of dismantling it yourself.
Just take lots of pictures your first time before each step and don't force anything, I like to lay out some white paper towel when working on my reels and lay it all out the order it came apart so the re-assembly goes smooth.
The worst that could happen is you take a bag of parts back to the shop and they reassemble for you. LOL

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 12:12:44 AM »

True enough.  ;D  What kind of reel lubricant and juice are you guys using on your reels?
The Bigger The Better!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 12:42:30 AM »

What kind of reel lubricant and juice are you guys using on your reels?

Quantum's Hot Sauce is hard to beat.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 12:48:15 AM »

That's what I use

Fillibert

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 01:03:44 AM »

I saw a shimano cleaning video and the guy said that if it gets cleaned out it doesn't really need oil. That most people put too much and it attracts dirt so less is better.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 07:03:12 AM »

some copy and paste from an old web page that I saved, helped me get started on servicing my baitcasters
I am using a Shimano Chronarch CH100A
but the procedure is similar for most Shimano baitcasters.
Regular maintenance will keep your reel in top shape. This page covers basic routine maintenance. Saltwater use requires more frequent maintenance.
No tools are required for this procedure. You will need a rag, some good reel oil, some Q-Tip swabs, alcohol, and some Reel Magic or other type of cleaner/protectant. A copy of the exploded parts diagram is also a great help.
Loosen the quick takedown thumbscrew and remove the sideplate. Remove the spool from the frame. Some models have a clip holding the spool. A little pressure will free the spool. Spray a rag with some Silicon Spray, ReelX, Reel Magic, or CRC and wipe down the entire reel to remove any dirt, salt, etc.. You can use the Q-Tip swab to access the tight areas
2. Apply a small drop of oil to the bearing that's located in the center of the sideplate. I use the applicator tip to control the amount of oil applied
3. Saturate a Q-Tip with alcohol and clean the inside of the brake drum. After it dries, run a swab that's been wetted with oil around the drum. A very thin, light coat is all that is required
4. Clean and dry the spool shaft. Oil on this shaft will reduce your free-spool capabilities and decrease casting distance.
5. Place one drop of oil on the spool shaft bearing
6. Place one drop of oil on the end of the worm shaft
7. Place one drop of oil on the handle shaft.
8. Place one drop of oil on each end of the levelwind worm gear and one in the center.
9. Remove the cast control cap. Some models have a spring under the cap. Swab the cap out and place one drop of oil on the shim. If the shim is dimpled, flip it over.
10. Place one drop of oil on the bearing. The bearings are exposed on the Calcuttas and standard Curados. The Chronarchs and Curado SF reels have two nylon seals
 with the spool clip sandwiched between them. These need to be removed to access the bearing.
11. Place one drop of oil on each of the handle knobs