Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: shimano bb rod  (Read 4889 times)

mr.bean

shimano bb rod
« on: September 03, 2012, 05:42:02 PM »

i know this is a sore topic for many anglers, but since it is still legal, here is my question.  i am looking for a good bb rod. came up with this modell from shimano. cvcm106mh2b. rated  up to 40 lbs braided line and up to 8 oz lure weight. if  anybody has  a different suggestion, please do let me know. thanks

TheChumWhisperer

Re: shimano bb rod
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 07:14:03 PM »

Leave the Fraser fish alone, buy a Centerpin rod and reel. 

Bandit420

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 08:26:07 PM »

Snagging fish on the fraser is ill advised right now and should be Illegal considering you are intentionally snagging a fish even if its in the mouth. Do wut CW said and get a cp or baitcaster and catch those fish like a real fisherman amd leave the fraser salmon alone. Too many ppl out ther haggling them even when its not advised to do so.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 08:28:29 PM by Bandit420 »
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 08:58:42 PM »

you are intentionally snagging a fish even if its in the mouth.

Hooking it in the mouth is not snagging. Snagging = foul hooking = hooking a fish outside the mouth. As per the regs "Any fish willfully or accidently snagged must be released immediately." Whether the fish is enticed to bite or is hooked in the mouth with a bare hook, the end result is the same.

I can buy arguements that flossing is not "sporting," or that the high percentage of fish that are foul hooked as a result is an indication that you are unskilled and should switch to a more selective fishing method, but let's not start labelling all flossers "snaggarts;" there is a difference between flossing and ripping a barbed treble hook through the water (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TQAupcJVgw&feature=fvwrel)

Too many ppl out ther haggling them even when its not advised to do so.

Agreed.

Mr. bean, the rod you're looking at should be fine, as most tackle shop employees will likely tell you. It could also double as a bar fishing rod, which is currently the only legal way to target chinook on the Fraser.

Tight lines.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Nitroholic

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 10:45:59 PM »

Hooking it in the mouth is not snagging. Snagging = foul hooking = hooking a fish outside the mouth. As per the regs "Any fish willfully or accidently snagged must be released immediately." Whether the fish is enticed to bite or is hooked in the mouth with a bare hook, the end result is the same.

give it a rest already  ::)

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 12:40:28 AM »

give it a rest already  ::)

X  1  billion  ::)

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:52:29 AM by Bently »

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 01:24:21 AM »

It could also double as a bar fishing rod, which is currently the only legal way to target chinook on the Fraser

There are many legal ways to fish for chinnook in the Fraser right now,

here's just a few that come to mind ,

bar fish with bait or lure/spin-n-glow, etc etc { except where/when bait ban is in effect}
back troll
spin cast
fish spinners under a weight while anchored
fly fish

hell, even the " DFO advised not to way" is still legal if you must. ::)

Sometimes the best way is to just "shut up and fish"  :-X  ;D ;D

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:25:32 AM by Bently »

zabber

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 10:46:10 AM »

even the " DFO advised not to way" is still legal if you must. ::)

The DFO advised not to way is a nonselective angling method. Therefore, by flossing chinook at this time you are also flossing sox, and any other fish in the river. Sox are closed to fishing so -- technically -- I don't think the DFO advised not to way is still legal at this point in time. Are you gonna get a ticket? Of course not.

But I'll give it a rest. Maybe all the verbal abuse will turn some of the flossers off the sport and the bars will be a bit less crowded 8)

Nitroholic

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 10:52:37 AM »

The DFO advised not to way is a nonselective angling method. Therefore, by flossing chinook at this time you are also flossing sox, and any other fish in the river. Sox are closed to fishing so -- technically -- I don't think the DFO advised not to way is still legal at this point in time. Are you gonna get a ticket? Of course not.

But I'll give it a rest. Maybe all the verbal abuse will turn some of the flossers off the sport and the bars will be a bit less crowded 8)

says the guy with the hero photo of snagged chinook in his av...

zabber

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 11:11:55 AM »

says the guy with the hero photo of snagged chinook in his av...

That chinook was "snagged" last year; a massive sockeye return year, as well as a pink year. The fishing was action-packed some days. I have no regrets; still one of my top 10 days out on the water. I'm not gonna catch my 2 sox, then proceed to set up a bar rig, then go fly fish for pinks if they're all in the same water and bb'ing/flossing is an acceptable angling method; especially if I catch the spring &/or pink before my sockeye limit.

zabber

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »

That being said, I'm not going to go floss chinook during a period of sockeye non-retention, not-in-the-least because one can get 'em to bite other presentations.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 11:36:20 AM »

Zabber, what I was getting at is that what you said was wrong. :-X

There are many other LEGAL ways of angling for chinnook besides bar fishing while fishing in the Fraser River. ::)

With the exception of "bait bans" you can basically fill your boots when it comes to methods, so long as your using a single barbless hook.

zabber

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 11:48:33 AM »

Lol, yes, I see that now... Sorry, I was tired when I wrote that (in more ways then one) and was just trying to guide what may be a new (salmon) angler in the right direction.

Thanks for weighing in and the clarification :)

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 12:34:56 PM »

That being said, I'm not going to go floss chinook during a period of sockeye non-retention, not-in-the-least because one can get 'em to bite other presentations.

I beg to differ, since you already have. ::)

This was your post from the floss out thread, dated July 30th of this year, BTW, all year has been non retention of sockeye too. ;D

note the bold parts !!!!

QUOTE from Zabber

"I also find bb'ing enjoyable. Sure, it may not be "sporting" -- if the fish don't, indeed, bite your offering -- but the COs don't ticket people for hooking fish in the face so it must be an acceptable form of angling.

Standing hip deep in rushing water, sun shining, wind blowing, comraderie, beers, hard fighting fish; good times all around. Worth the gas money, even it doesn't cover the cost of the meat (or lack thereof) Wink

Never seen any fights (verbal or fist) but then I've never fished Scale on a weekend.

Went today and got a nice red buck within an hour.. Hooked inside the mouth, just like last season's. Right near the lower end of the bar where pretty much no one else was fishing. In fact, I was contemplating following the two guys that were fishing upstream from me and moving towards the boundary when: FISH ON!! Maybe 12-15lbs of chrome... Not even close to AT's in size. May post a pic later.

Gonna rig up a plunking setup next time and just chill out; hucking those betties gets tiring after a while :P
p.s. catching = hooking and landing  Wink

End QUOTE from Zabber

So, from what I've read so far you have a hard time with the truth. ??? And before you blame it on the water clarity, you could've waited since you don't want to floss chinnook during a sockeye closure.  ;D ;D

Your right Mr Bean, this is a sore topic.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:45:35 PM by Bently »

zabber

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 01:30:45 PM »

I beg to differ, since you already have. ::)

This was your post from the floss out thread, dated July 30th of this year, BTW, all year has been non retention of sockeye too. ;D

Ahaha, this is true. However, at the time sockeye were still "TBD," which I took to mean open to CnR and there was no advisory to not bb for 'em. I'm not proud of what I did, but at the time a guy I know was heading up and I was itching to get into one of those brutes, as the one you see in my avatar was my first and the memory gets me through the toughest days/weeks :P While not nearly as satisfying as last year's catch (perhaps because it was hooked close to shore, and while standing on land), it still put up a decent fight. I went up again a couple of weeks later with a couple of buddies that were going (again before the "closure") but that time just got into a bunch of socks. Hooking one sock in the gill and another in the belly put me off the whole thing a bit and I haven't bb'd since. If it's open for all species next year I'll probably head up once or twice, but not sure for how much longer. It's a form of angling that's beginning to fall out of favour with me, as Chris G. suggested it might.

Having identified more productive forms of red flesh chinook fishing (e.g. short-floating roe), this year, I reckon there won't be a repeat of this summer for me.

BTW, if you're ever looking for someone to fund a bar-fishing trip send me an e-mail. Brews n' fuel are on me ;)