Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Abu Garcia C3 6500 Upgrade  (Read 9633 times)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Abu Garcia C3 6500 Upgrade
« on: August 31, 2012, 08:08:57 AM »

I just installed a new drive shaft, gear, and speed handle kit into my Abu Garcia C3 6500.  The reel now works like it's brand new!  I had already upgraded the drag washers and installed a new worm gear with ceramic pawl.  It's pretty cool that you can upgrade your reel at a decent price if you know how to DIY.   :)  Now I just need to figure out when the use it!   ;D

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Abu Garcia C3 6500 Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 08:17:17 AM »

I upgraded mine similarly (including abec 7 ceramic bearings) and my cast distance went from 110 feet to 165 feet with 25g weight.
It's a lot noisier but I am extremely pleased with how little effort is needed to hit the far shore.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 09:35:10 PM »

Sounds cool! I got my parts from Mike's Reel Repair.  They have a huge selection of parts for Abu reels.  However, I noticed that they don't have as much selection for my Calcutta or Luna.  Availability of parts seems to be an advantage for Abu reels.  I did manage to clean out my Calcutta's worm gear and also upgraded to a ceramic pawl.  It's handy to know how to service your own baitcaster!  ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 11:03:01 PM »

Why would a FlyFishin Magician need to upgrade his baitcaster ? ;)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 11:24:07 PM »

LOL - yeah yeah yeah.  Up to 2004, I exclusively flyfished for salmon/steelhead.  Then I picked up my first drift fishing outfit - a Trophy XL rod and Abu Garcia C3 6500 (the reel described above) which allowed me access to more water.  Eventually, I upgraded and now my number one coho drift set-up is a Sage 2106 with the Calcutta 200B or Luna 253.  Of course I still have lots of fly gear as well.  However, quite frankly I find it much easier to mix in with other anglers on local rivers during the prime time when I have my drift set-up.  I learned my lesson back in 2003 when I got pushed out of a run on the Chehalis using a fly rod when a ton of gear guys moved in.  OK - that's a different story.   :D

Hey FA - you should see my progression with roe curing!  ;D ;D ;D  I enjoy it almost as much as fly tying.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 12:10:51 AM »

Welcome to the dark side  ;D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 10:51:41 AM »

I noticed that they don't have as much selection for my Calcutta or Luna.  Availability of parts seems to be an advantage for Abu reels. 

I don't know if this information has been posted here on the forum, but here it goes. As of 2010, all major Japanese reel makers (Shimano, Daiwa, Quantum et alles) no longer manufacture replacement parts for any of their reels that are more than 5 years old. The manufacturers want you to buy new reels, not use your old ones. This will especially affect those people who own and love their Calcuttas and some other high end reels which, with proper maintenance, can last a life time. So if you see a hot deal on a Calcutta reel these days, think twice before you buy. Some parts are already nearly impossible to find.

No such problems with Abu Garcia Ambassadeur reels. Parts are readily available from a number of sources.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 11:50:11 AM »

That's good information to know. Thanks Milo

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 08:45:11 AM »

I did not know that! Thanks Milo.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 08:50:21 AM »

I don't know if this information has been posted here on the forum, but here it goes. As of 2010, all major Japanese reel makers (Shimano, Daiwa, Quantum et alles) no longer manufacture replacement parts for any of their reels that are more than 5 years old. The manufacturers want you to buy new reels, not use your old ones. This will especially affect those people who own and love their Calcuttas and some other high end reels which, with proper maintenance, can last a life time. So if you see a hot deal on a Calcutta reel these days, think twice before you buy. Some parts are already nearly impossible to find.

No such problems with Abu Garcia Ambassadeur reels. Parts are readily available from a number of sources.

I always thought it was because the Abu's broke down so often......  kinda like a Ford.  :D  ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 05:06:59 PM »

I always thought it was because the Abu's broke down so often......  kinda like a Ford.  :D  ;D

;D

Blame the drivers, not the cars.

Blue_Fox

• Eat, Run, Fish, Sleep.
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 05:30:46 PM »

FORD = Fix Or Repair Dilemma.

Blue_Fox

• Eat, Run, Fish, Sleep.
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 05:38:45 PM »

I actually destroyed a very classy looking Abu Garcia Ambassadeur reel in a limited edition dark grey colour - it was my very first Abu Garcia reel too. It was shaped like a C3 5500, but it was just called Ambassadeur but I've never seen it again anywhere else. I've had lots of compliments with the reel, but I decided to torture test it, and it ended getting destroyed beyond repair.

My second and current Ambassadeur C3 reel works like new and it's over 12 years old.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 05:42:29 PM by Blue_Fox »