Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Fraser bar fishing gear help  (Read 5335 times)

fish.on

Lower Fraser bar fishing gear help
« on: August 28, 2012, 11:12:24 PM »

Hi, I want to give bar fishing a try.  I did some research and found bar fishing can be done in the lower Fraser with 3-5oz flat sinkers.  I have a shimano technium 11'6 MH 12-25lb 3/4-2oz casting rod. I was wondering if this rod is capable of casting 4oz, 5oz weights for bar fishing in the lower Fraser for salmon? Is the rod too soft and will the rod get damaged? How far can i push this rod and still use it comfortably? Should I buy a new bar rod?  I want to get away from buying a new rod at the moment if possible.  Any feedback from avid bar fisherman or technium owners would be great. Thanks.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
Re: Lower Fraser bar fishing gear help
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 11:21:23 PM »

Go fishing and don't worry about a thing, your rod is plenty good for this type of fishing. 3 or 4 ounce weights are nothing for this rod.

good luck

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 11:28:14 PM »

I was hucking 22oz. with no problems on the upper Fraser with a shorter rod, similar action. As mentioned, 5 oz will be cast with ease.

FWIW, if you're cheap -- like me -- you can just tie some line to a flat stone and huck that out there. After donating $10 of lead to the river I got fed up and tied my own weights, lol. Duct tape for extra security ;) Guys used to use railroad spikes, from what I've read. Of course, if you're at a snag-free location then a lead-weight will likely be more convenient.

Cheers,
Zab
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 11:33:11 PM »

I wouldn't exceed the recommended casting weight for the rod. For bar/bottom fishing in the Tidal Fraser River, depending on where you are fishing, weights under 3oz should be adequate enough to handle the current. I rarely use weights over 1oz at the spots where I like to fish.

fish.on

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 12:09:32 AM »

I was planning on fishing from Surrey pattullo bridge area all the way to the mission bridge area. I read of suggestions using a bar rig with 3-4oz sinkers and spin-n-glows. Is my information correct?

fish.on

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 12:11:17 AM »

I was hucking 22oz. with no problems on the upper Fraser with a shorter rod, similar action. As mentioned, 5 oz will be cast with ease.

Wow, 22oz...that is a tough rod. I thought 5oz was pushing it for my technium.

Thanks for the info guys.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 12:29:04 AM »

I was planning on fishing from Surrey pattullo bridge area all the way to the mission bridge area. I read of suggestions using a bar rig with 3-4oz sinkers and spin-n-glows. Is my information correct?

I would stick with roe instead of spin n' glos

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 12:29:50 AM »

I wouldn't exceed the recommended casting weight for the rod. For bar/bottom fishing in the Tidal Fraser River, depending on where you are fishing, weights under 3oz should be adequate enough to handle the current. I rarely use weights over 1oz at the spots where I like to fish.

And where would that be ? ;)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 08:14:55 AM »

depends on the current in the spot you are fishing and how far you are casting. Doesn't hurt to carry some 3 oz weights just in case. In most places 2oz weights should hold your gear inplace. In some you may be able to go lower particularly as the river drops thropugh the fall. Rememeber in most cases ity's not necessary to cast much more than 50 feet.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Bandit420

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 11:15:39 AM »

Ya use roe like FA said. I went out to the dump bar yesterday and was using a 2oz weight with no problems besides the debris from the freshet. You will get hassled constantly by course fish and will need to rebait constantly. I had a solid take but was too far from my rod due to my ADD and delicious blackberrys around. Most likely a dolly but ive seen quiye a few chinook propoise so it could have been a jack. Get out there and ley us know how you did. Good luck!
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

alan701

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 12:16:25 PM »

I like sticking to rod specs but 3 oz is definately fine.. Almost everyone uses those weights when bottom bouncing for sockeye. If its 5 oz be gentle because thats pushing it