Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerpin Casting  (Read 8354 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Centerpin Casting
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 09:43:25 PM »

When it comes to fighting a fish there is no comparison to the pin. No drag no gears just the fish and a couple of fingers. The only thing maybe more exciting would be a big fish with a pile of fly line wrapped around your feet!

cohoaaron

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 10:39:37 PM »

The best way to cast a center pin is to cast it into the river like you would a rock for example.
Then go to Fred's and get yourself a baitcaster.
 :D :D :D
Hahahahahahaha!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 11:59:06 PM »

Has nothing to do with looking cool, and everything to do with an effortless cast than changes your life once you figure it out.  I can cast anywhere, in a crowd fishing shoulder to shoulder, under trees, etc.  If all you have is a side cast, you are very limited in the places you can fish.  I don't even use the side cast anymore, pull cast all day every day.  

Any tips.? I've been watching youtube videos but im not sure what the easiest casting method is.

LP89CG

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 12:03:04 AM »

Well I re-loaded my spool with some line and I think I'll give the wallace cast a try tomorrow in a field. Hopefully I can get a decent cast going before theres an abundance of coho in the vedder.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 06:43:17 AM »

You are much better practicing on the water than a field

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 09:26:58 AM »

I agree if you spool yourself at least the flow of the river will help pay out your birds nest, and you won't catch a fish on a field.
The Wallace cast has it's place but IMO it is not a beginner cast. The side arm cast is easy just let go of the spool when the rod is behind you. Use a bit more weight at first then you can start taking some off.

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 12:13:41 AM »

I just started pinning at the beginning of the year and it took me a few days in a field to get my cast right. I use the side cast, I found it much easier than the wallis or whatever its called. I started and have stayed with using 1/2oz of weight. I was only able to cast about 15-20ft at first but by the end of those few days casting in the field, I got up to about 50 or so. The trick for me was knowing when to let go of the spool during the cast. If directly in front of you is 12 oclock and behind you is 6 oclock, I let the spool go at about 3, let the rod load at about 5 oclock and then forward. I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone but me, but thats what went thru my head when I first started casting a pin.  ;D As the line is flying thru the air, keep your pinky or ring finger ever so lightly on the rim of the spool, then just before the line hits the water, stop the spool. Easy peasy! GL!
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

LP89CG

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 06:32:21 PM »

I put some lead on and went down to Mill lake to practice casting. Kept all of the tips in this threat in my mind and my cast is way better. a few tangles but nothing serious...regardless I can actually get my line out. Now im a bit more confident on the upcoming coho. !!!