Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerpin Casting  (Read 8355 times)

LP89CG

Centerpin Casting
« on: August 26, 2012, 05:25:26 PM »

Went out to practice casting. lets just say that fishing was short lived because I now have to buy more line. nasty nasty nest.

Any tips.? I've been watching youtube videos but im not sure what the easiest casting method is.

EZ_Rolling

Re: Centerpin Casting
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 05:43:09 PM »

It can be tricky to start best to go watch someone do it for a while before you start

I use a side hand cast kind of the same motion as tennis

Start with short casts try a smaller river so you aren't tempted to heave ho

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 05:44:17 PM »

trick is to get the reel moving before you try to cast. Make sure you keep a hand on the reel so you can slow it just before it hits the water or you will have a back lash of line. It took me a couple trips out to get the hang of it (I just started with a center pin last year)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 05:48:50 PM »

Let the reel start spinning just before you cast, at about 3 or 4 o'clock. Put some heavier weight on and cast closer, then further, then ease up on the weight. To avoid backlash, stop the reel just before your weight hits the water.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 08:00:38 PM »

Get your self a couple of nice cork floats. These floats are heavier then your average float and really helps with your cast.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

LP89CG

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 09:00:01 PM »

Let the reel start spinning just before you cast, at about 3 or 4 o'clock. Put some heavier weight on and cast closer, then further, then ease up on the weight. To avoid backlash, stop the reel just before your weight hits the water.

To let the reel spin should I just let my hand off of it, or should I pull on the line to encourage the spin?

Thanks for the tips

ByteMe

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 09:20:42 PM »

depends on how much weight you are using.I am using 10gr of split shot and don't have a prob just letting go of the spool without pulling out any line............a good cork float will help
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 09:48:21 PM »

Yea just let it spin naturally, no need to pull it

LP89CG

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 10:22:05 PM »

once you figure out the side cast then learn the wallis cast. Its much more accurate plus all the cool guys cast like that

Yeah... hopefully one day. Right now I just want to be able to cast without getting a nest with my entire spool.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 10:45:59 PM »

just remember, in a side cast, the release point is at the beginning of your cast. the bend of your rod through the swinging motion will slow the spinning of the reel until you get to the forward position where your ring or pinky finger takes over.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 07:34:29 AM »

with great practice comes great casting

ByteMe

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 08:47:01 AM »

once you figure out the side cast then learn the wallis cast. Its much more accurate plus all the cool guys cast like that

........lmao....and ya definately want to look cool with a CP,even more than the spey boys :D
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

4TheKids

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 08:33:19 PM »

The reason people catch more fish with a CP is that you can't cast as far ;D If your rod is 9 feet and you have waders you only need to cast about 10 feet to catch fish. CPs are about drifting, not about launching. My 2 cents and I doubt its worth much more than that. 

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 08:42:58 PM »

........lmao....and ya definately want to look cool with a CP,even more than the spey boys :D

Has nothing to do with looking cool, and everything to do with an effortless cast than changes your life once you figure it out.  I can cast anywhere, in a crowd fishing shoulder to shoulder, under trees, etc.  If all you have is a side cast, you are very limited in the places you can fish.  I don't even use the side cast anymore, pull cast all day every day.  

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 09:03:28 PM »

The best way to cast a center pin is to cast it into the river like you would a rock for example.
Then go to Fred's and get yourself a baitcaster.
 :D :D :D