Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Expert team to fix Campbell Heights  (Read 2851 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Expert team to fix Campbell Heights
« on: June 25, 2008, 07:54:36 PM »

Expert team to fix Campbell Heights
June 25, 2008

John Werring
File photo

One of Surrey’s foremost critics of development in Campbell Heights has been commissioned by the city – along with an ace team of biologists – to figure out how to fix the damage done in the area over the past few years.

David Suzuki Foundation biologist John Werring is the author of “High and Dry: An Investigation of Salmon Habitat Destruction in British Columbia,” which characterized the Campbell Heights development as one the worst examples of salmon habitat damage in the province.

Phase one of the Campbell Heights development near 192 Street and 24 Avenue involved construction of a 200-acre parcel of property on a decommissioned gravel pit (Stokes Pit).

City of Surrey staff recognize mistakes were made in the first phase and have hired Werring, along with three other registered professional biologists, to find solutions.

The professionals include:

• Paul Schaap (Dillon Consulting), who has been responsible for the city’s Salmon Habitat Restoration Program (SHaRP) for years.

• Rolf Sickmuller with ECL Envirowest Consulting.

• Michael Coulthard (Diamond Head Consulting), a terrestrial biologist who has undertaken several city projects including the restoration of Sunnyside Acres Urban Forest

Vincent Lalonde, Surrey’s manager of utilities and transportation, said he wanted to get the best team possible for the job.

“My goal is to assemble the people that would have credibility, the best experts I could find that would best represent varying views,” Lalonde said Monday. “Ultimately, the city wants to do the right thing and would like to provide quality habitat.”

And that team may remain in place for the planned development of phase two, which is another 250-acre parcel to the east covering a significant portion of the Little Campbell River headwaters.

Lalonde points out it’s better to get the development right in the first place rather than attempt to fix it later.

The cost of the expert panel is about $15,000.

City staff have said remedial work on phase one has been about $3 million so far, and that number could climb significantly depending on the recommendations of the panel, which will be made public in early July.

The city has previously outlined some of the problems that occurred in phase one, with the lead issue being the speed of planning and development.

“Definitely taking more time to develop the plans would have been beneficial,” Lalonde said.

Werring told The Leader most of the damage can be fixed, and by all accounts, it appears the city is willing. He also notes this is the first time he’s been invited by any city to provide a critical view of necessary remediation.

“I have to commend the city for taking this step,” Werring said.

Further work on the area will be done in the “fisheries window” in August.

kdiakiw@surreyleader.com
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Ella Minnow Pea

Re: Expert team to fix Campbell Heights
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 05:43:10 PM »

I realize this thread is 4 years old, but I can't seem to find any more recent information on this area.  Does anyone know what's going on in the area south of Latimer Pond? There  are no trespassing signs everywhere, fish habitat under construction.
Links or anecdotal evidence would be appreciated.  I'm just curious.  It looks like most of the surrounding area is about to be concrete jungle.

StillAqua

checkfire

Re: Expert team to fix Campbell Heights
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »

The before and after pictures are incredible.