Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder spinning rods  (Read 2699 times)

NFM

vedder spinning rods
« on: October 05, 2009, 03:11:01 PM »

Just curious to know if many people float fish the vedder with 8 ft spinning rods, I fish the river each year for steelhead , but never for the coho's and spring salmon. Do many people float fish with these types of rods ? I just think it would be fun to get into some fish float fishing with a small lighter action rod. thoughts ?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: vedder spinning rods
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 03:22:30 PM »

If you look on some previous threads within the last couple weeks this topic was discussed in great length. Just look on this page or a few pages back.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

NFM

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 06:16:54 PM »

I did what you said and looked back on previous pages, and all I came across was talk about "short floating". I didnt see anything on spinning rods for float fishing. I know how to float fish as I have been doing it for 7 yrs now and have learned from the best of the best . All I want to know is does any one else uses small 7-8 ft spinning rods to float fish? and how do you like it compared to a 11 ft bait casting rod and reel. I just personally have never tried it and thought it could be fun to do .Basically is worth while for me to use it or should i leave it at home and just stick with baitcaster.

Spiznack

• Dominion Lending Centres Alta Pacific Mortgages
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 06:52:05 PM »

I have a friend who did it for one day then switched back.  I guess you won't really know if it is fun until you try it!  Different people like different things.
For Mortgage advice call Carlos @ 778-846-2567

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 07:17:02 PM »

Not used by many in the know,mostly newbs.Can be done but it's not easy to get a good drift with that short a rod.Better to use a 9'-10' spin rod(I did post this in the shortfloating thread). Or get a lighter action rod for the baitcaster,which is probably the way to go because you'll likely be dissappointed with the quality of your drifts using the spin-rod.You could take the spin-rod out and toss some spoons.
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 07:37:32 PM »

Just curious to know if many people float fish the vedder with 8 ft spinning rods, I fish the river each year for steelhead , but never for the coho's and spring salmon. Do many people float fish with these types of rods ? I just think it would be fun to get into some fish float fishing with a small lighter action rod. thoughts ?

depends on where you are fishing on the vedder, in most cases you are gonna want a longer rod to keep line off the water. would not hurt to try though

NFM

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 07:45:40 PM »

Thanks guys I appreciate the input! Im going to give it a try for a little while and see what happens and if I dont feel like i am getting a good drift i will just switch back over, wont hurt to try ! thanks again

NFM

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 07:46:05 PM »

ill be sure to report back and let you all know how it went !

mikeH

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 07:54:34 PM »

I've used a spinning rod 7ft medium action for pinks a few weeks back.Broke my rod on a really big humpy >:(.Brought out the fly rod 9wt for coho.You need a longer rod for sure.Just watch the size you catch for a short rod.I feel safer with a heavier rod.You can land a lot of fish with a spinning rod.Good luck :)