Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Begginer center pin setup  (Read 17947 times)

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Re: Begginer center pin setup
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 10:20:18 PM »

Meat fisherman...Ouch that hurt...I keep the reel on free spool when im playing a fish the only difference is im using my thumb instead of my palm for drag. ;D

Dennis, let me get this straight, you play the fish with your thumb only? So that big nate that you nearly brought to hand a while ago was played with no drag? do you have a leather patch for your thumb because if not I have a hard time believing this

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 11:38:53 PM »

Dennis, let me get this straight, you play the fish with your thumb only? So that big nate that you nearly brought to hand a while ago was played with no drag? do you have a leather patch for your thumb because if not I have a hard time believing this

i think he may have misquoted himself...you can't free spool without setting the trigger arm every time you crank the reel...also, if you loosen your drag to that effect, you wouldn't be able to retrieve line because the bearings won't catch.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2011, 07:26:14 AM »

Better control and feel of the fish using your thumb for drag.When i reel in the levelwind engages and when the fish runs i disengage the reel and then use my thumb for drag. Of course one cant do this on large fish epescially fraser river springs as they peel alot of line out very rapidily and ya your thumb would burn off.You fellas make me laugh because you think you know everything.I started fishing when most of of you were just a twinkle in your Daddys eye. ;D

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2011, 03:36:33 PM »

Dont know who Dennis K ,my user name is Dennis T.I havent been on this site for very long.I have been on the other site with the same user name Dennis T for a couple of yrs now,so lets get that straight ??? Because you use a cp doesnt make you superior to anyone.Im expressing my humble opinion on the topic.To each his own partner.Tight Lines. ;D

buckjr

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2011, 05:30:53 PM »

Well after creeping on the sight for years now i finally signed up due to this thread. HAHAHA I love this stuff.

I would have to completely agree with comments made by shortfloat and DennisT. I've fished many years with a centerpins and they definitely have their time and place, however I like to catch fish, as many fish as possible in fact. Thus, why i now fish a small levelwind. Why... well its only simple logic, you can generally fish quicker though area due to the increased retrieve ratio, your more accurate in longer distance casting, you can achieve more casts throughout the day, in many situations it's easier to cast in confined spaces, and the benefits could go on. I too disengage the drag when fighting a fish, not very difficult to manage this task and utilise your thumb. I know i fish more effectively when I'm on the water with a levelwinds than a centerpin. 

There are certainly alot of hero's on the water utilising the stigma of being a pin fisherman as being a good fisherman. Not always the case from what i see out there.

buckjr

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2011, 05:32:25 PM »

Oh ya, and chromekings, i can afford whatever gear i want. it has nothing to do with money.