Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WTB: Grizzly saddle hackle in assorted colors  (Read 1036 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
WTB: Grizzly saddle hackle in assorted colors
« on: May 30, 2013, 09:12:58 PM »

If anyone has grizzly saddle hackle that they do not want/need and want to sell I may be interested. Normally I buy my supplies from the local fly shop, but the price of grizzly saddle hackle!! :o I realize a lot of it is out of their hands as they also need to pay top buck for it due to its demand in the fashion industry.

I've found some sellers on Craig's list etc that are selling an entire fly tying collection, with a decent amount of saddle hackle included in the bundle. However I do no need another vise and all the assorted stuff that comes along with the saddle hackle. Pretty much all the supplies I need I have for the fishing I do. A lot of the intruders and trout flies I tie call for grizzly saddle hackle in a variety of colors.

If I were to go to the shop and buy a small pack (I dunno 12-15 feathers) of the 5 or so colors I want it would set me back close to $100. That's nuts! Can you imagine if a small bag of marabou cost $15-$20?!

Anyway, the main color I want is burnt orange. I'm also looking for grizzly (black+white), pink, orange, black, white, purple. Pretty much the main colors that most flies with grizzly saddle hackle are tied with.

I doubt anyone is willing to part ways with this single material, buy hey it's worth a shot!!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: WTB: Grizzly saddle hackle in assorted colors
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 10:54:26 AM »

Why don't you buy a single saddle from the flyshop and then dye it in the various colors you require?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQtIPauZQ08
Actions speak louder than words.

ChumChaser

Re: WTB: Grizzly saddle hackle in assorted colors
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 11:27:02 AM »

Check out wholesale sports, I saw a few grizly saddles at the Kamloops one. I think they were $40 or $50. They are starting to show up again in most shops, hopefully the hair extension fad is starting to die out.

Good luck in your search.