Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wading boots  (Read 4387 times)

marmot

• Old Timer
Wading boots
« on: November 30, 2005, 01:31:48 PM »

Hey guys I need a little info....just picked up some waders and i need some felt bottom boots.  Anybody have suggestions as to good ones?  Thanks :D

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: Wading boots
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 01:40:53 PM »

I recnetly purchased a pair of "Chota STL Plus" boots. I love them, huge improvement over the crappy Sedges and Hodgemans I had owned previously.
Actions speak louder than words.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 02:35:38 PM »

I have a set of Korkers. They are the removable sole wading boots.  You can change the soles from hiking boot, to full felt, to spiked felt.  I have had no problem with these, and I like them a lot.  They also give a fair amount of ankle support which is good when fishing in rocky water where it is possible to turn an ankle.  They are also the most comfortable wading boots I have used to date!!
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 02:43:17 PM »

Thanks for the input guys!  I have wide duck flippers so it might be tough to find some.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 09:07:10 AM »

I have nuthing good to say about chotas/hodgemans/reddingtons. All three brands blew apart on me with not a whole lot of walking.  only thing I can say is I tend to pronate when I walk so that may have been the cause of such quick wear-outs. 

I bought a pair of Simms (grey-green colour) and they are vastly better for the extra $30-40 I spent on them, plus the support is FAR superior.  These boots seem to be much more durable but I have only had them 3 months so only time will tell.

I can say for sure that they feel more like a hiking boot (with out being heavy) compared to the cloth or nylon bodied boots listed above.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 11:11:32 AM »

I've got a pair of stream sides they're made from synthetic leather.  They provide good ankle support and are built to last. I got mine for about 100 bucks at Freds

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 12:50:48 PM »

Gooey, which pair of Chotas did you have? the SLTs or the Abrams Creek?

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 02:06:56 PM »

thanks for all the info guys!  I ended up going with some simms guide ones.  They have a stitched on sole, and nice wide footbed, and theyre a little more solid than some of the other ones so if you walk like me and bash your feet into rocks it wont hurt as much :D   That and they are the only ones that came in a size 16.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 02:11:05 PM »

How much were they Marmot?

Size 16?! :o

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 03:10:55 PM »

hahah i was joking about the 16! my GF wishes!  $199 at anglers west. didnt really shop around, they may be cheaper somewhere else.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 09:06:42 PM »

I've had Weinbrenner's and now Simms L2's.  By far the Simm's are the best around.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 02:16:29 PM »

High water had the simms for $149 as I recall....my last boot (chota) was the model w  brown synthetic leathe and black felt...really cheap material  IMO.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 03:41:39 PM »

Gooey, you probably had the Abrams Creek model. I was originally going to get a pair of Simms but they didn't have any so I got the high end Chotas. I think they set me back around $180. So far I have had no issue with them, plus I really like the lace system.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2005, 11:25:57 PM »

Since I tend to spend more time bushwacking and less time wading, I recently purchased an oversized pair of hiking boots for $30.

Seems to fit the bill and the price is right...even if they just last for a couple of seasons.