Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hells Gate  (Read 2852 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Hells Gate
« on: June 22, 2005, 11:49:57 PM »

Going through some pictures this evening and came upon some I took at Hells Gate on the Fraser River. Thought I would send hem to Rodney to post to show those that have not been down to the fish ladders.

You wonder how the fish get through there, of course the fish ladders make it possible as the rock slide caused by the building of the CNR in the start of the 20 century nearly wiped out some of the runs.
I was down there with CEJ in conjuction of the Sockeye radio tagging program. This shots show the recievers and CEJ is downloading the records of the passing sockeyes.

These sockeye were tagged out in the ocean, I donot believe the report is out yet and is still going on.

This year the program is continuing including the tagging of sports caught sockeye below the Mission Bridge. Personally I think they will have trouble BB ing them there and I informed them of that but they say I am wrong. They most likely be looking for volunteer anglers, so anyone interested PM me and I will pass your name on.

Part of the study is to use the data to check the acoustic FOC boat that attempts to estimate the number of Sockeye going past Mission.

Rodney will post the photos when time permits so check back to this thread.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Hells Gate
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 11:58:11 PM »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 12:11:46 AM »

Amazing the distance and type of water salmon has to migrate through to reach their respective natal streams to spawn.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 12:51:20 AM »

Amazing the distance and type of water salmon has to migrate through to reach their respective natal streams to spawn.
So true. Note the entrances at different levels to accomadate the rise and fall of the flow.

Imagine the millions of fish that have gone by here for centuries. As always my message is, we most make sure our fish stocks continue to do sor many centuries to come.

Got to get to bed so can get an early start on another fishing adventure tomorrow.

Only 3 hours to daylight. ;D