Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sumas River - Hougen Park  (Read 5581 times)

slamman190

• here fishy fishy fishy...
    • Dan's Blog
Sumas River - Hougen Park
« on: May 28, 2007, 08:59:33 PM »

I drove by the sumas river the other day, and saw a bunch of people fishing.  Looked like they were bait fishing with bobbers.  Has anybody ever fished the sumas river before?  What are people hoping to catch out of there?

It looked pretty dirty, must be full of fertilizer and such.  Also looks pretty slow moving. 

Anybody have any insights?

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: Sumas River - Hougen Park
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 09:21:25 PM »

I've caught some decent carp from Hougen park. How high was the water? I've done best there during spring run off when the river floods the baseball diamond. The carp come up onto the field to graze on the drowned worms.
Actions speak louder than words.

slamman190

• here fishy fishy fishy...
    • Dan's Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 10:33:42 PM »

water didn't seem too high,  was not covering the baseball field for sure.  I have never tried for carp, but maybe I should...

FishOn36

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 03:14:28 PM »

Sorry for big bump, seeing as how old this topic is. I'm seeking some info about this place in regards to what fish species are in that water running along Hougen park. I was there last weekend and caught a nice 14" rainbow in the early morning, along with 4 smaller ones and a bunch of pikeminnows of all sizes throughout the day. One of my friends even caught a small sunfish...I've read on another forum that there's trout,carp,sturgeon,chum,coho, pikeminnows, & sunfish in there. Can any of you guys clarify/confirm this?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:17:04 PM by FishOn36 »

FishOn36

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 09:07:25 PM »

Bump!!  :-X