Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alouette River Salmon/Other Fish?  (Read 1369 times)

maple_ridge_mafia

Alouette River Salmon/Other Fish?
« on: September 13, 2023, 10:57:48 AM »

Hello All,

I have never fished the alouette river before, even though it is quite close and accessible to me.

The salmon season just opened up for Chinook and Coho starting September 1st. But I'm not sure what to use in terms of lures/bait. Spinners? Float setups? Jigs?

Also, if anyone knows of other species in the river, could you please let me know what and where?

Thanks!

Maple Ridge Mafia  8)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Alouette River Salmon/Other Fish?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 06:07:20 PM »

there are no salmon in the Alouette...at least not yet. The Sept 1 opening is a general opening for many streams. Coho run is pretty modest. Like many North Fraser streams it times later. Chinook are propagated by the ARMS hatchery. I don't think I have ever seen one in stream. Chum is the predominant salmon species & once they come in and start spawning it's hard to avoid them. Tackle seems more focused on various forms of snagging gear or roe. some people says jigs are effective but i couldn't tell you what sort. It's a shallow stream so nothing heavy is needed. Once i ran into a couple of guys using what looked like 1/2 ounce jigs ...why I wouldn't know.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

maple_ridge_mafia

Re: Alouette River Salmon/Other Fish?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2023, 02:52:43 PM »

Thanks for the heads up!