Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: In the Squamish, cigarette butts aplenty  (Read 1688 times)

s.patrick

In the Squamish, cigarette butts aplenty
« on: August 19, 2011, 11:30:29 PM »

Hi all:

Tried my hand at the pink salmon in the Squamish River yesterday and today; my first time fishing for salmon in more than a decade, and had a great time. Great weather and lots of fish.

There were also a lot of cigarette butts floating by me. Further up, I could see people smoking while fishing, and presumably tossing their butts into the water. I find it disrespectful of the fish and ecosystem to be tossing butts into the river, which then end up in the ocean and washing up on shores around B.C., or accumulating in the ocean. Litter is litter, right? And, it'd be so easy to put the smoke out in the water, and then put it into a vest pocket to throw out later.

Cigarette butts biggest polluter of Canadian ocean shorelines: http://digitaljournal.com/article/269018

Pacific Trash Vortex, an enormous dump in the middle of the Pacific: http://greatpacificgarbagepatch.info/

What do you do when you see someone toss a butt into the ocean? And if you do toss your butt, what's your excuse?

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: In the Squamish, cigarette butts aplenty
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 12:48:03 AM »

Could'nt agree more. Nothing more sickening than being downwind of someone smoking while you're fishing and to only then see them toss their butts into the river like it means nothing. As far as I can see pollution is pollution and you can talk all day about Tim Horton coffee cups but I would bet cigarrettes pose a much greater risk of damage to our waters because of the chemicals contained within them, than cups do.

I have absolutely no problem with smokers, hell, I married a smoker and I love her very much. I just think that people should be much more conscientious about what they do with their butts. Afterall we live on a planet with countless of billions of smokers and now imagine each one smokes 10 smokes a day, every day for a year. Yeah !!!! Thats a lot of butts being discarded but the thing I don't get is that smokers feel entitled to litter and fill our streets and waters with filth and its not a big deal. WoW !!! When, where and how did they get this entitlement ?

It seems to me that if people preach on forums or anywhere else for that matter about ecology and keeping our planet green, healthy and vibrant and sustaining life in our waters I would think that they would clean up their act in this regard. Carry a can or container to keep your butts in. Hell, their small so's you'd need a small container and then your conscience is clear. That is if you really care. Do You ?

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
Re: In the Squamish, cigarette butts aplenty
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 10:06:27 AM »

Totally agree. When fishing the water is my ashtray, its safer that way. But it's not my butt can. I'll dip my smoke in the water to extinguish, then into my left back pocket. Haha butt can, back pocket, puns are fun!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!