Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye Opens In the Fraser  (Read 29396 times)

Z71

• I'm a llama!
Re: Sockeye Opens In the Fraser
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2011, 11:38:30 PM »

recreational fishery staying open through next weekend...let's see, at least five more days of the opening = another 10 sockeye for the freezer!!! ;D

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=135118&ID=recreational

ricer

« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2011, 01:03:51 PM »

might not take that long - the openings do not let the commercial fish the ideal tides (slack and back up).  We quit right when the fish start to push in. 

This last opening was very slim pickings - 100 fish for a 6hr opening (some caught more and some less) - we were only allowed to fish the running tide so it was very difficult and frustrating.  Fish were just starting to go in the net when we had to pick up our last set (85 fish).  We only caught 15 fish for the first 5 hrs of the opening.

Pinks are starting to show up - we caught about 10 or so.

swampdonkey

« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2011, 02:15:05 PM »

might not take that long - the openings do not let the commercial fish the ideal tides (slack and back up).  We quit right when the fish start to push in. 

This last opening was very slim pickings - 100 fish for a 6hr opening (some caught more and some less) - we were only allowed to fish the running tide so it was very difficult and frustrating.  Fish were just starting to go in the net when we had to pick up our last set (85 fish).  We only caught 15 fish for the first 5 hrs of the opening.

Pinks are starting to show up - we caught about 10 or so.

where abouts where you fishing

arimaBOATER

« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2011, 09:57:36 AM »

Was at Gerry Point Park yesterday (Wed Aug 17/2011 around 8pm aprox) & had some good chats with the many friendly folks ya can meet. There was a high tide.
Seen some commercial boats with theeir gill nets out. Hardly a breeze thus the water was plasid or flat looking & with the nice setting sun (BILLION DOLLAR VIEW) ...no wonder so people take their cameras.

One boat set his net very close to the enterance of the harbour (barely west of it) & the boat was only aprox 60ft directly infront of the statue in the memory of fishermen/possible fisherladies? lost at sea.
Anyways the net was out for 15 minutes max. & when they brought in the net ...WOW...fish after fish..every 6ft of net another fish. :o

One chap told of a story how sports fishing is so scientific..how just a slight color change in lures..results in one to catch 7 fish & the other guy zero fish. He said he is a catch & release sports fisherman.
Another guy Tony was out casting a small lure off those new docks.
Had that book HOOKED by Ernie Hollands to give Rod & Nina (guy tied 75000 or 80000 QUALITY fish flies in Millhaven Prison in Ont.)
As it turns out gave the book to a guy I was talking to...but Ihave another copy here at home ......... so just may bump into Rodney & Nina next time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2011, 06:49:14 PM »

the nice setting sun (BILLION DOLLAR VIEW) ...no wonder so people take their cameras.

1son

« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2011, 08:36:45 PM »

Easywater WOW! Nice shot I love my city :D

mike89

« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2011, 11:26:40 PM »

Fished the upper river tonight, slooowww, still got our sox but really had to work, heard it was hot in the morning though, didn't see as many springs as yesterday

arimaBOATER

« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2011, 12:27:33 AM »

Thanks Easywater ...that pic definately is a great example of that BILLION DOLLAR VIEW my past post mentioned.
About 4 days ago as the sun set ...to the east a big orange looking moon was arising...UN-REAL.

Tonight again just a beautiful night in Richmond  ...sun-set & all & also it was nice to bump into THE MAN to have a short chat with Rodney who was casting a lure into the Fraser R.

Had to keep it short as my dear wife has this idea that a bike ride is pt A to pt B & do not stop to talk with people.
She is a great wife but "kinda bossy" ha ha ha BUT so am I (man is the boss right) ??? In theory anyways ...

Seen some commercial boats out in the Fraser & also at least 4-5 people sports fishing.

Stay safe folks as when the fish come in numbers hopefully we do not have any drownings. Safety first...last wkend some 20ft pleasure boat with 4 guys on board rammed thier boat into a log-boom near Mitchell Is on the N. Fraser at about 10pm or so (dark conditions) Not a safe thing to do.(going too fast in a boat in the dark on the North arm of the Fraser R)

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2011, 07:51:34 AM »

Hey Arima, how come you aren't out in the chuck in your boat?  The sox and springs are biting out there!

JJJ

« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2011, 01:18:21 PM »

Fished the upper river tonight, slooowww, still got our sox but really had to work, heard it was hot in the morning though, didn't see as many springs as yesterday

Before 3pm it was like a " fish on and landing " carnival. :o Lots of people got springs. Wish this weekend will remain good not affected by commercial fishing.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2011, 02:34:45 PM »

Damien ...I was a floor-waxer for quite a number of yrs...& at that time we bought into the LIGHTHOUSE PLACE over by the #2 bridge...& that means working into the wee hrs of the AM & at a dif building every night...N Van Pt Coq Anacis Is Nwr Van etc..............plants car dealerships banks...then many times I'd just have a few hrs sleep wake up & bring my dad to a Dr. Appt. etc...

Then found out that our building was a possible LEAKY CONDO (yes even an 8 story concrete buillding... thought it was only the 4 story wood framed buildings that had that problem)
So sujj to parents &  to sell their home..we'd sell our apt & we'd move in together ..in a home with 2 kitchens 5 bedrms etc..here in Richmond.
Well we sold & they sold & as it turned out the LIGHTHOUSE PLACE did need major repairs...so did all the buildings in that area. CRAZY.
Mind ya I did tell all viewing our apt. that studies (engineering co.'s) were being done to see it this building needed repairs.
 Anyways when we all moved in together ...the big plus was I got to aid or help out my aging family...

Dad & I wanted to have a dad /son thing to do so we bought a 13ft older but well kept runabout with a 35 hp outboard...Could tell ya some HAIR RASING STORIES being in that boat on the stormy Fraser R....then we got another slightly larger 16 Silverline boat..but websurfing I came across the Arima boat line...well we just had to get one ...but at the right price & one that was in good shape. Well a 2nd hand Arima 16ft that ws selling for $14999 dropped to $9999 OFFERED $9000 A deal was made.
So this Arima boat for the last 2/1/4 yrs has been 100's of boating & fishing adventures for my dad & myself.
My dad put most of the money into it.
Sadly this past yr my 85 yr old dad has had increased health problems...& he had some bad falls in the house...his walking now went to just a few steps...with use with a walker...he needs a wheelchair & or sits in his comfortable living rm chair...well as he is in that condition we just have not been able to get out...I'm their driver cleaner cooketc etc...plus do a pt time job...
I just have not the time...but also jsut do not want to get out there in the boat with 3-5 people who are willing to go out with me.... My dad says go out with your friends but...have not done so...this boat has been a dad/son thing & he has put the majority of bucks into the boat so I just kinda feel guilty if I go with others.....
I'm in the process of building a small stairway with big wide steps to see if he will be able to get into the boat via that method. Surely I can take him out for 2-3-possibly 4 hrs.
Thanks for the question & who knows we just may be out there soon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 02:39:56 PM by A-BOATER »

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2011, 04:39:33 PM »

Sucks to hear that man.  There will always be fish (we hope), but friends and family aren't here forever.  You are taking care of your Family and truly is the most important thing.

Cheers,

Damien (bassfreak on the other board)