Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The HST vote - making a decision  (Read 125028 times)

Bavarian Raven

Re: The HST vote - making a decision
« Reply #255 on: July 04, 2011, 04:15:16 PM »

One thing I have not been able to find out if we go back to the PST- GST tax system are we still going to be taxed on the number of new taxable items and services that are now taxed when the HST was brought in? There was a lot that we did not pay tax on before under our old tax system.

a very good question that the anti-side dont seem to want to answer.

Simple answer - the Liberals have no credibility, not even the guts to answer questions in debate.

welcome to all politicians... BC and NDP and Cons. and Green alike in BC ::)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #256 on: July 04, 2011, 05:15:16 PM »

a very good question that the anti-side dont seem to want to answer.

welcome to all politicians... BC and NDP and Cons. and Green alike in BC ::)
I guess I better send Christy a note and ask her but maybe AF can tell us as I doubt I would get an answer from her but could ask Bill V. ;D ;D

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #257 on: July 04, 2011, 06:16:45 PM »

I guess I better send Christy a note and ask her but maybe AF can tell us as I doubt I would get an answer from her but could ask Bill V. ;D ;D

Vote for me?  ;D
- John A.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #258 on: July 04, 2011, 06:21:47 PM »

The referendum vote does not indicate that if the PST is brought back that it will include all the exemptions it had before the HST was introduced. The government would have a $1.6 billion bill they would have to pay.

Maybe they will send a special invoice to all the anti HSTer's to cover that bill. Seems only fair that if you order something you also need to be willing to pay for it.

I am willing to pay the extra HST.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #259 on: July 04, 2011, 08:29:42 PM »

I'm not sure if that's the right answer. I often wonder why the gold is always at the end of the rainbow....  why isn't it at the beginning?  :D

When I was young and I wanted something that I knew I couldn't have, my father used to say; "Imagine how much you'll appreciate it when you get it!"

If you think the HST is good at 10%, but you vote against it because you want it right now......   ???  ???

...or you think the HST would be good at 10% but you vote against it because you do not believe the Liberals would ever actually cut the tax...
Not all those who wander are lost

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #260 on: July 04, 2011, 09:29:51 PM »

The referendum vote does not indicate that if the PST is brought back that it will include all the exemptions it had before the HST was introduced. The government would have a $1.6 billion bill they would have to pay.

Maybe they will send a special invoice to all the anti HSTer's to cover that bill. Seems only fair that if you order something you also need to be willing to pay for it.

I am willing to pay the extra HST.

Good- pay mine. ;) Let's deal with facts - the whole bribe hasn't hit the coffers yet so again, your figures are fudged and off by at least $550 million. Since the great shepherds have taken office, our public long term debt has increased exponentially.

Read this little dirt sheet and tell me what stalwarts we have in charge of our economy AF.

http://powellriverpersuader.blogspot.com/2011/05/art-of-distraction-bc-liberal-and-bc.html
http://

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #261 on: July 04, 2011, 09:37:12 PM »

Here ya go AF This is enough for you to chew on for an hour or two:

http://www.jlsreport.com/?p=1405
 The biggest collection of shot down pro HST pablum links in existence. It's so full I couldn't post it.

ENJOY!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #262 on: July 04, 2011, 09:52:15 PM »

Here ya go AF This is enough for you to chew on for an hour or two:

http://www.jlsreport.com/?p=1405
 The biggest collection of shot down pro HST pablum links in existence. It's so full I couldn't post it.

ENJOY!

Good stuff but will need a day or two to read it. ;D ;D

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #263 on: July 05, 2011, 07:21:32 AM »

...or you think the HST would be good at 10% but you vote against it because you do not believe the Liberals would ever actually cut the tax...

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! WE HAVE A BINGO!

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #264 on: July 05, 2011, 08:07:23 AM »

A nice fresh one from the esteemed Mr. Oberfeld:

http://harveyoberfeld.ca/blog/

HST: Vote YES For Your Own Self-Respect.
July 4th, 2011 · 5 Comments

The most disheartening part of the entire HST debate is that the government, and their business backers, have learned NOTHING from the public’s anger and rejection of the haughty disrespect the Liberals have shown towards the voters throughout.

They talk of change and lessons learned … but in reality, they’re still shovelling out lies and hoping they will get away with it.

How about that LIE that, under the new HST rules, consumers will SAVE money. What a crock! Even under the best-possible scenario, the OVERCHARGE from this “revenue neutral” tax shift will drop to $230 a year from $350.  Some saving! As I’ve written before, that’s like a mugger hitting you over the head for $350 every year, then saying, starting a couple of years down the road,  he’ll only keep $230 of the $350 he steals from you!

Or there’s the LIE that prices will come down, thanks to all those corporate savings.   How much have YOU saved so far?

How can people who look voters in the eye and say such things sleep at night or look at themselves in the mirror each morning!

And Premier Christy Clark has made it all worse … and shown her arrogance and disrespect for the voters … by refusing to debate this supposedly CRITICAL tax with the Opposition Leader.  Is this the change she promised?  Clearly she shows the same disdain for the voters that led to Gordon Campbell’s disgraceful exit from politics.

But the biggest farce HST supporters …and their media mouthpieces …are now using to persuade voters to overtax themselves, at the benefit of big business, is that we should all forgive and forget the insults, lies, deceit of the past … and vote on the HST  on the basis of what’s best for the province.

Ha!!

Since when has that become part of Canada’s or BC’s political reality???

Ever since Confederation, EVERY government … federal and provincial…  has handed out political powers, political appointments, government contracts, general government spending,  located government projects, headquarters and even approved private developments WITHOUT regard for “doing what is best”  for the nation or the province.

Now, all of a sudden, they want the voters …who have been screwed Royally (forgive me Will and Kate) by the HST to do what government and politicians NEVER do: make decisions totally independent of any self-interest. Even if it means your family will suffer.

How dare they!

They have NEVER set this example, but now tell us we should.

But if you care at all about your own self-respect and the integrity of our political process, you should NOT fall for that: to do so will ultimately inflict great harm on not only your bank account, but more importantly the very integrity of our democratic system.

Make no mistake: if the HST is approved, no matter how grudgingly, Clark, Campbell and their Corporate co-conspirators will all be high-fiving each other … laughing at how gullible and how stupid the voters are. 

They will have gotten away, despite all the voters’ huffing and puffing, with an amazing accomplishment: convincing lower and middle class taxpayers that they should vote to bear an even greater tax burden, so the rich can enjoy even greater incomes, profits and tax relief.

Absolutely ludicrous and seemingly incredible … but a lot of big money has gone into convincing you that’s what you should do “for the good of the province”.   

Even I will have to admire them if they succeed!

However, what scares me is that, if they get away with this one …and the voters show such disrespect for themselves as to vote in favour of their own mistreatmentand sacrifice (that politicians never make themselves)  the damage to our democracy will be severe.

Send them a message: they can’t lie and deceive us anymore, and expect us to approve such disrespect.

Vote YES to end the HST ..and let the government know we really DEMAND  HONESTY and changes in the way they operate.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #265 on: July 05, 2011, 09:38:57 AM »

You get the sense that the anti's are losing this one..... so the attacks and the political spinning is getting more vicious.

They start out their argument with an emotional hissy fit, followed by attacks on personalities. and conclude with a statement that says; those are the reasons you should vote against the HST.

When my kids were 2 years old they knew how to debate better than that!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #266 on: July 05, 2011, 06:22:30 PM »

Ninety-one economists rally behind HST

By Jock Finlayson and Kevin Milligan, Vancouver Sun July 5, 2011

The referendum on the harmonized sales tax and the provincial sales tax/federal goods and services tax system presents an important choice for British Columbians. As the ballots arrive, we think it is important as economists to speak out on how we view the debate.

We are united in the belief that switching back to the old PST/ GST system is the wrong way to address important social and economic problems.

It is well known that value added taxes (like the HST) are superior to retail sales taxes (like the old PST). Because the PST taxed some inputs at every stage of production, the cascade of compounding taxes led to higher tax rates on investment. The HST, in contrast, taxes only final products at a clear and transparent rate. This is why 140 countries in the world use value-added taxes like the HST, and only a few jurisdictions in Canada and the United States still use taxes like the PST.

Economists know that removing a penalty to investment will produce more investment in capital goods like equipment, machinery and buildings. These investments support growth in jobs and wages. Removing barriers like the PST from the tax system is best for the long-run prosperity of B.C.

Many economists are also concerned about the fairness of outcomes. The new HST credit, by providing $230 per year for each family member in low-income families, helps improve the fairness of the HST. By exempting basic food and rent, the HST's burden on lower income households is again lightened.

We believe the HST represents a step forward for our tax system and economy. We urge you to consider this when you fill in your ballots.

Jock Finlayson is executive vicepresident of policy at the Business Council of British Columbia. Kevin Milligan is associate professor of economics at the University of British Columbia. They submitted this letter with the support of 89 more economists from the academic and private sectors

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #267 on: July 05, 2011, 08:34:30 PM »

Ninety-one economists rally behind HST

By Jock Finlayson and Kevin Milligan, Vancouver Sun July 5, 2011

The referendum on the harmonized sales tax and the provincial sales tax/federal goods and services tax system presents an important choice for British Columbians. As the ballots arrive, we think it is important as economists to speak out on how we view the debate.

We are united in the belief that switching back to the old PST/ GST system is the wrong way to address important social and economic problems.

It is well known that value added taxes (like the HST) are superior to retail sales taxes (like the old PST). Because the PST taxed some inputs at every stage of production, the cascade of compounding taxes led to higher tax rates on investment. The HST, in contrast, taxes only final products at a clear and transparent rate. This is why 140 countries in the world use value-added taxes like the HST, and only a few jurisdictions in Canada and the United States still use taxes like the PST.

Economists know that removing a penalty to investment will produce more investment in capital goods like equipment, machinery and buildings. These investments support growth in jobs and wages. Removing barriers like the PST from the tax system is best for the long-run prosperity of B.C.

Many economists are also concerned about the fairness of outcomes. The new HST credit, by providing $230 per year for each family member in low-income families, helps improve the fairness of the HST. By exempting basic food and rent, the HST's burden on lower income households is again lightened.

We believe the HST represents a step forward for our tax system and economy. We urge you to consider this when you fill in your ballots.

Jock Finlayson is executive vicepresident of policy at the Business Council of British Columbia. Kevin Milligan is associate professor of economics at the University of British Columbia. They submitted this letter with the support of 89 more economists from the academic and private sectors

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Of course these economist favor it as it is a advantage to them and their friends while the rest of us have to pick up the slack. Am so glad so many are voting yes on their ballots. ;D ;D

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #268 on: July 06, 2011, 05:31:36 AM »

You get the sense that the anti's are losing this one..... so the attacks and the political spinning is getting more vicious.

They start out their argument with an emotional hissy fit, followed by attacks on personalities. and conclude with a statement that says; those are the reasons you should vote against the HST.

When my kids were 2 years old they knew how to debate better than that!

Naw - the pro HST's are losing, the government is running scared and their attacks are turning personal. When the citizens REJECT the HST, I'll hand you a towel to get all that nasty egg off your face. ;) And wipe away those tears.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 07:40:01 AM by Novabonker »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #269 on: July 06, 2011, 07:41:25 AM »

Got the ballot yesterday, in the mail today.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?