Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WTB: Used stripping basket  (Read 3445 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
WTB: Used stripping basket
« on: August 07, 2013, 01:18:03 PM »

I've never tried a stripping basket. I do alright at gathering my stripped line into a series of loops, but at times it can be a pain. Today for kicks I tried stripping my line into my hip pack and shooting it out of it, it worked alright! I don't fly fish a lot and would like to sniff out a used one. Does anyone have one they willing to part ways with?

If I don't have any luck with this, can anyone reccomend a good bang for your buck new one?

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
Re: WTB: Used stripping basket
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 02:24:47 PM »

You can make one yourself for cheap, if you have the time. All you need is one of those kids' step stools (from WalMart) and an adjustable clamp strap (from an old pair of waders, or you can buy one at a hardware or liquidation store for a few bucks).

Should be easy enough to put together but there are direction online. Just Google "making your own stripping basket," or something like that....
A rig out of water catches no fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 02:32:03 PM »

I have the Orvis basket - which cost $60 on a group deal.

I made myself one prior to that using  plastic basin and plastic tie downs. The tie downs protruded from the bottom of the basket from 2 adjacent drill holes. After the tie downs were tightened I sealed the holes with epoxy . You don't water in the basket and it lifts the line creating tangles. It worked great but I think the tie downs accelerated line wear - when I shot line it rubbed against the tie downs with a distressing whine.

The best DIY I've seen is the Todd Oishi design:

http://troutlegend.com/forum/gear-talk/home-made-stripping-baskets/

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 01:51:02 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys! :) I was at Sea Run in Coquitlam last night for a tying class and noticed some "U-built" ones they had in stock. Basicially what was described: a plastic bin shaped like an Ikea kids stool, with a nylon strap, and a dozen or so "peaks" added so the line does not tangle. They had a William Joseph one on sale for a little bit more ($40 bucks-ish) and it looked MUCH less rinky-dink. However, the staff all agreed that the plastic bucket one works the best. So, yeah, I could have made my own and saved a bit of $ but when I saw this one I thought what the heck and just bought it. Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow!

whereismyfloat

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 10:35:28 AM »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 06:05:13 PM »

Very cool! From what I can tell you'd still have to make sure that your loops weren't too long and touching the water or else drag from the water would come into play. Also the guy in the video is clearly a VERY good caster. I'd like to see it used by a few half a** fly fishers like myself standing knee deep in moving water. Could I get enough line speed for the line to release on the foreward cast like in the video? I'd like to try one out, but doubt I'll be rushing out to buy one.

I gave my stripping basket (well, more of a bin) a test run today. I love it! It's a little cumbersome having it attached to your waist, and looks ridiculous, but I was shooting line way beter than I ever did trying to manage my loops with my fingers.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 03:22:03 PM »

Is there any way to remove a posting? Don't need this on up any more. Bought a basket.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 06:04:07 PM »

no reason to delete this post. This is all great info for anyone else looking at getting or making a stripping basket
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Ian Forbes

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 11:12:54 PM »

This is the one I use...