Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wt versus weight  (Read 3584 times)

Castor

wt versus weight
« on: June 27, 2013, 06:46:54 PM »

Probably a fairly simple question but this is my first year fly fishing and I was hoping someone could clarify, what are the weight maxes and minimums for Fly rods? I know a 5-6 wt is a good starter rod but what's the biggest/smallest fish that I want to target with that rig.

Thnx
I'd fish that

SteelheadAdict

Re: wt versus weight
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 07:43:27 PM »

its mostley a trout rod put would also work as pink salmon rod that and for cap coho

Castor

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »

was hoping for a pound type of scale like, 5-6 wt good to 7 lb , 8 wt up to 20 lbs. is it something like that?
I'd fish that

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 09:17:20 PM »

5/6 weight 8 pounds

7/8 weight 20 pounds

9/10 weight 30 pounds

10/11 weight 40 pounds

thats my idea of it

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 09:21:07 PM »

It is often more related to what types of flies can I throw under what conditions.
Also:
A 5wt rod is generally underpowered casting large flies into the wind (i.e. some beaches). It also doesn't have enough power for most salmon.
An 8wt is fine for smaller chum in slack water, but is generally underpowered for Chinook or larger chum in fast water.
You can certainly catch larger fish with a lighter rod but it is very hard on the fish for Catch and Release.

ByteMe

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 10:25:22 PM »

was hoping for a pound type of scale like, 5-6 wt good to 7 lb , 8 wt up to 20 lbs. is it something like that?
Alot depends on the quality of the rod.I have had 6lb Coho break a cheap 8wt rod and have landed 14lb Coho on a good quality 6wt when targeting Summer steelhead
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 08:06:04 AM »

A #6 rod should be ok with any salmon/trout/ steelhead up into the 12 to 15 lb range. Particularly these days as rods tend to be stiffer and have more power in the lower half of the rod than they did 20 years ago. When I say ok I mean you'll have a reasonable chance of controlling and landing the fish That's my experience in any event. As other people have said that comes with lots of caveats like how much experience you have with larger fish, the water you are fishing (don't fish Thompson Steelhead with 5wt ...please), size of the fly, the line (using heavy tips etc). If you want to fish salmon or steelhead regularly buy an 8 wt or maybe a #7. If you are trout fishing in still water with the odd trip to river or stream, maybe give pinks or coho a shot then a #5 or #6 will be ok.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Castor

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 06:23:01 PM »

Perfect, thanks all for the input. much appreciated  :)
I'd fish that