Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yet another Chum fishing question  (Read 10440 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Yet another Chum fishing question
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 12:16:53 PM »

Fishseeker, regarding the species available in October, please read bkk's post at:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=16027.msg156480#msg156480

Your chance of connecting with a hatchery coho salmon is very slim, especially if you are fishing in the sections of the river where chum salmon are abundant. For anyone who is considering targeting hatchery coho salmon, make sure you check which sections are opened:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Freshwater/region2_e.htm

The only area opened is:

downstream of the boundary signs at the powerline crossing approx. 1.5 km upstream of the confluence with the Cheakamus River

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 08:11:57 PM »

Thanks for more info about the reel bbronswyk2000.  Given my lack of experience and the fact that I got everything else at such a good price it is probably worth buying a reel with a decend drag.

I went over to Army & Navy and found them selling the Okuma Itegrity for 79 bucks and the troutlet web site has it at 49.27.  The frustating thing about the troutlet site is I couldn't get information on how much the shipping and handling would cost (I looked at their help very carefully and you are supposed to be able to see a link to this when trying to chekout the item but no such link was forthcoming).  I could also not be sure how long the handling would take. 

Even with the shipping and handling it may still be worth buying this way but I just don't want any ugly surprises  I would also like to be in a position to go out fishing this coming weekend.

Thanks for the additional info Rodney, at least a know a bit more about what to expect when I go there.

wheresmybobber

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 10:11:53 PM »

Hey Fishseeker,

You need to create an account to check out shipping costs... Typically around 12.00 for standard international, and 20.00 for Express... If you buy three or four items...

Reel
Rob
Backing
Line

You'll stand to save a bunch buying online via the USA. Heck our dollar is more than the US as of Friday.

If not, than save yourself the hassel and pick up the Army Navy rod / reel.

wheresmybobber

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 11:54:18 PM »

Ah..Good to know.  Thanks again Wheresmybobber.  I managed to find a good second hand deal on a fenwick 9wt.  Just need to get a reel with decent drag and I should be set to go.

For future purchases I will be looking at this site a lot more often :)