Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems in the Squamish Valley  (Read 1054 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Problems in the Squamish Valley
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2024, 09:34:07 AM »

Still amuses me. People are always more interested in the freak show.

The problems at Bradner and Cole Roads should be straight forward to fix. There is an 8 hour stay limit at all Highway rest areas so they just need to enforce it. Whose responsibility is it? Highways, Abbotsford Police or the RCMP?

I know of several spots in Burnaby that sometimes collect the Nomad camper van homeless as well as the camp out druggies. City employees move them out. They give them a notice and if they don't go they seize tents. That's what most people want though most of those people don't cause problems beyond the obvious health issues.

Redesign the rest spots. Close Bradner and replace it. It was one of the first. It's too big, there is too much parking, the walk to the john is too long and it's location causes a traffic headache. I don't stop there unless I am desperate as it can be all but impossible to leave coming as it does right after the west bound climbing lanes switch from 3 lanes to 2. Access to brush and natural areas should be fenced - that's what was done years ago at the Johnson Slough stop.

I'd also say we need more highway rest stops particularly given frequent traffic conditions that can strand a driver and passengers in a car for hours. There is no rest stop on Hwy 7 from Vancouver to Hope other than Johnson Slough. But they should be built to purpose and not serve as all day picnic sites or free camping with flush toilets
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2024, 11:18:30 AM »

Bradner rest area will be worked on as part of this project

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation/transportation-infrastructure/contracting-to-transportation/highway-bridge-construction/unofficial-tender-documents/project-no-13253-1001

"Description: Widening of Highway 1 to accommodate new High Occupancy Vehicle, Bus on Shoulder, and Auxiliary lanes; including replacement of the Bradner Road overpass structures. Construction of a new Multi-Use Path adjacent to Highway 1. Expansion and rehabilitation of the Bradner Rest Area and construction of new environmental enhancements at Nathan Creek."

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2024, 11:44:05 AM »

well thank God they will focus on enhancements for Nathan Creek which is the most important cutthroat spawning & nursery stream (plus coho and chum)  below the Mission Bridge. It continues to be threatened by development in it's upper watershed.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.