Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: salmon jigs  (Read 2211 times)

mr.bean

salmon jigs
« on: July 19, 2015, 07:25:05 PM »

has anybody ever used smokin joes jigs. being made in abbotsford, look really nice. all of them are under 3 bucks.  wonder what quality they are and how they would stack up against, lets say bent rods jigs ? 

zacrum

Re: salmon jigs
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 08:03:34 PM »

been using these on and off for a few years for the price point they are really nice   and not overly depressying if you have to loose a few   quality would be a mid range product    definatly worth haveing a few if you arnt to sure on a new area and dont wanna toss some expensive stuff

Tenz85

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 09:38:24 PM »

Definitely support local quality products even if it is a buck or two more. Searching the web I see they look good but are all heads painted - im less confident when they get chipped. Also, I noticed that bent rods website is also 3$ a pop and only 3.69 at Fred's for the convenience factor.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 08:21:46 AM »

If the jig is dead drifted properly the fish will never see the head. I haven't noticed a difference in hookup ratio between lead head and chrome head jigs on winter steelhead.

smokin joe

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 01:58:21 PM »

All my jigs are made with heavy wire eagle claw hooks. 1/4 oz have 2/0, 1/2 oz have 3/0 and the 3/4 oz. have 4/0. I paint all the heads because its the fisherman that asks for the colored ones. Personally I would not paint the heads as they work just as well lead colored. Give me a call and I would gladly show you what I have. I sell a ton of these jigs to the local guides and with the heavy wire they no longer complain of bent hooks.  Joe