Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shorefishing for salmon on Gabriola?  (Read 7845 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Shorefishing for salmon on Gabriola?
« on: July 18, 2015, 03:22:11 PM »

I have the opportunity to go to Gabriola Island in August. I've just gotten into salmon fishing, and wonderif there's a spot on Gabriola like Ambleside Park?

I have access to a kayak as well, but as a novice kayaker and fisherman combined, would hate to get swept away. However, if there was a smaller little bay, again somewhat like Ambleside, I'd consider it.

I know folks are loathe to give away there spots, so I'm not asking for your honey holes, but if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it, even through PM.

Thanks!

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Shorefishing for salmon on Gabriola?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 10:27:47 AM »

I have never fished Gabriola, so this is an educated guess that you should take with a grain, or two, of salt.

The Ambleside fishery is a a terminal fishery; you are primarily angling for fish that are staging in the saltwater waiting for the opportunity to migrate upriver.  Gabriola doesn't have that.  The salmon fishery on eastern shore of the island in Gerogia Strait is for migrating salmon largely bound for the Fraser and Columbia. The fishery is in deep water offshore. I would suspect very little opportunity for shorefishing for salmon on the eastern side of the island.

There are coho that rear in Georgia Strait. You might find them foraging in/around kelp beds near the shore.     

For shore, or kayak, fishing I would suggest the northwestern end of the island. You may pick some sea run cutthroat that are native to the Nanaimo River system, or some staging salmon for the same system. Also the south end of the island looks fishy for shore fishing as salmon will pass closer to shore as they navigate the pass.

Be aware of closures and RCA in the area.

Seeing as you have not gotten other replies, I thought I would throw this out as an educated guess and a Hail Mary. If you get better first hand info that contradicts what I said, go with that instead! :)

Cheers.                   
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 10:50:40 AM by clarki »

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 11:05:43 AM »

Great insight. 8)
As was pointed out: check the RCAs and regs.

Though I haven't fished THERE...
... many areas will offer up ground fish.
Kelp beds, rocky bottoms and sand or gravel may offer up several species of cod as well as flounder and...

Good luck.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 01:57:03 PM »

Thanks!

nevertoolate

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 08:12:43 PM »

its difficult to actually find the regulations.  Have to click on the map and get it big enough to see the green hatch lines.  Most of the south end and a major part of the north end are closed for rockfish - including catch and release.

nevertoolate

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 08:13:44 PM »

its difficult to actually find the regulations.  Have to click on the map and get it big enough to see the green hatch lines.  Most of the south end and a major part of the north end are closed for rockfish - including catch and release.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 09:10:35 PM »

If the area is closed to Rockfish, you cannot fish it. At all.

nevertoolate

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 09:22:39 AM »

Virtually impossible to read and understand the Fisheries and Oceans Postings on all of this. You have to know areas and sub areas. If you click on sub areas you get latitudes and longitudes or detailed maps that only a cartigrapher could understand.

Same goes for the postings on Freshwater where salmon is not included -- the regs on the Chilliwack only refer to Trout.

Is there not some way a readable and understandable summary could be posted somewhere for people who are not necessarily following the discussions on this page, so that simple ordinary people can find out what the fishing regulations are in the area they are interested in?

Gabriola is a good case in point.  Where can you fish for salmon and/or rock fish in a around Gabriola and where can you not fish for them?  Is there a simple accessible answer to that question?

I think this discussion deserves a new thread which I will start.

nevertoolate

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 12:46:28 PM »

30 seconds?  that may be because you know what you are looking for.  Most recreation fishermen do not have that level of expertise and knowledge.  When I was searching for this information on a recent trip to Gabriola I didnt find this map.

So it is not as easy as it looks.  Not for ordinary people who just want to try a bit of fishing.

Thats why I am saying that an easy to access and easy to understand source would help a lot.   This is not that.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 12:41:34 PM »

Way to go Typhoon, your google-fu is strong, while mine is very weak. I still think email is nifty.

To be specific, I have interest for salmon and salmon alone. I don't even know what a rockfish is.

It's looking like perhaps a charter is my best step forward.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 01:15:16 PM »

Saltwater species other than salmon found in BC are shown on this page:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/species-especes/finid-eng.html

Definitely note where the rockfish conservation areas are around Gabriola Island. These areas are closed to fishing for all species, not just rockfish.