Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BAR FISHING  (Read 8767 times)

fisher88

BAR FISHING
« on: July 01, 2005, 04:21:41 PM »

yo, im new to this and im wondering what i need for a bar fishing setup. What kind of rod, reel, line etc... What times of year is it good to Bar fish?!? i have never done this before but i see people all the time doing it. It looks like fun since u can sit down and relax and wait for a spring to bite.  ---thankss
If you aint dutch you aint much!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: BAR FISHING
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 04:34:24 PM »

Depends on whether you are fishing the upper or lower Fraser. The setups and equipment are different.

fisher88

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 04:42:05 PM »

uppper,, by chilliwack/abby.

miketheflyguy

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 10:05:28 PM »

If your looking for the Perfect BAR SETUP than here are some of the Hottest Items on the market

Rods
[/u]

Trophy XL Fraser King Rod (11ft) $100-120 depends where you go. I feel that this is one of the only rods to have.......totally rock....Rhyno also have a few good spincast Bar Rods (9-10.5ft)....$50-75 again depends where you go.....

Reels

The Abu Garcia 7000 series reels are probably some of the nicest reels out there.....they range from $199-299 once again depends where you go......Note: They don't make the 7000 series in red anymore......but now have come out with a green 7000 series model.....if your looking for the top notch reel than look into getting a C3 model as this series is one of the best Bar Reels Abu Garcia makes......Penn reels also have a good reel for Chinook Bar Fishing....The Penn 310GTi is a very durable reel for fishing $119.99-179.99 depends where you go .....I feel that it handles a fish 30+ pounds no problem.......If you don't feel good with the 310 you can always go up to the 320GTi but , this is getting into the Sturgeon class now (sorta).....I have a Penn 310....

Line

Now chosing the line is the 2nd most important part (next to the rod/reel) I have 60lb test Maima Chemiliom on my reel....its reely nice and tough as nails....Chinook have sharp teeth and can bite through the line pretty easily so I put this on for leader line too....But soon the Maxima will come on and 50 pound tough line will be put on! The best line by far is the Tough line ez to cast and has extra strength for pulling in one of those big 50 pound fraser River Springs..... .......

Weitght

I normally use 14-20oz weights depending on where I'm fishing 14-16 for slow moderate walking speed and 17+ for fast water with deep holes full of springs   

Spin and Glo's

You'll need a Size #0 spin and glo in order to Bar Fish! don't go smaller only bigger!!!! I've had best success with the Chrome with red top, green top, orange top and green with red top, orange top, and blue metalic with red top, blue top, and all of these have those nice shiny wings mylar I beleive.....Note: Those black one's with black wings non shiny black non mylar wings make noise and are totally hard to see, never caught a spring on one of those.....

Good times
Good times to fish are starting right about now....till The end of this month, as sockeye fishing takes over a good 2/3's of the river, there is still excellent spots to bar fish..., and it ends off right about the end of october (harrison river whites)....

Now find your hole a couple of long chairs and have some serious Bar Fishing Fun!

Best Regards and Best Of Luck
Mike
<")))><

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 10:17:33 PM »

Good advice, the only thing I would change is to use braid line rather than monofilament on your reel.

miketheflyguy

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 10:24:10 PM »

Ok....I beleive I said Tuf Line in there is it not braided? I'm loading some of that stuff on there soon...

fisher88

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 03:45:21 PM »

thanks alot... i think i might pick it up!!!

miketheflyguy

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2005, 10:55:44 PM »

There is also cheaper ways to Bar Fish for Springs.....Wal * Mart Sells mooching reel combo's for 75-125 dollars......and there is many other's at local shop's (spinning) I normally only go as far as line at wal mart as I do not support big stores like that...If you get my drift.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2005, 11:17:01 PM »

Good advice, the only thing I would change is to use braid line rather than monofilament on your reel.
Mono I find is worth using as if your partner is using some of the other makes like fireline and you hook a fish, it runs into that fireline it will cut your line like a knife. I have to admit do not know much about tuf line etc. if it will do the same thing. Of course I am old fashion and will always use mono as does the Master but I believe he uses the other stuff for sturgeon.

pnKroK

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 10:29:49 PM »

OK

1)
I'm in EastVan and I work full time.  I'd LOVE to hit the Fraser after work.  If i get to work early, I can get out early and be on the river around 4pm...if i'm lucky with traffic.

Thing is...I work in burnaby and I'm just wondering where a good bar is to fish in this area?
Is it really worth it at this time of year to fish around the new west/burnaby area?

Or is it worth it to drive over a bridge and go to Derby Reach?

2)
Right now i've got an Abu 6501 C3 level wind with a 20lb test on there.  I see that you guys are recommending atleast a 50lb.  Should I just find a semi-ok open-faced casting reel?
Will my Abu take a beating or is it really bad for the reel to make it work hard (i'm planning on catching the biggest chinook ever!!  :P).?
Or would it be better to just find some 50lb line and re-spool my reel (that actualy doesn't sound like much of a good idea)?

3)  How does one come across cured roe?  I do realize that most shop sell it, but is it really worth buying it from a shop?  I could try to cure my own, but thats starting from scratch, i'm a total novice so thats probably not a good idea.

4) How does one rig-up roe on the hook.  I've seen guys just slap it onto the hook and tie it down with a rubber band...but is that a good idea?  Would those little sacks work?  How do they work?

Sorry for all the questions, but I gotta ask!!
I hope someone will find the time to reply.  OR!
If anyone is willing to meet down at a bar and do a little teaching, i'd TOTALLY be up for it!

Feel free to pm or e-mail!

Thanks,

-rob C

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 11:13:24 PM »

Rob:
1) There is a bar in Burnaby called the Fraser Foreshore Park Bar at the end of Byrne Road. It's got nice park benches and washroom facilities. If you want to drive a bit, try the Brownsville Bar just off the Patullo Bridge. It's an excellent bar.

2) In my opinion you don't need 50 lb. test if you are going to concentrate your efforts on the Lower Fraser. If you are going to be fishing the upper bars around Fraser I would definitely recommend the 50+ lb. test. You will be casting upwards to 18 oz of lead.

3) You can buy good ProCure roe from Berry's. Do not buy roe from the gas stations. They are crap.

4) I place my hook through the roe and hold it in place using the egg loop knot.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2005, 11:53:09 PM »

fishing the lower fraser is totally accessable from burnaby. foreshore park is ok if you are just fishing for what will bite. bullheads, dollies, ect
across from forshore on the richmond side of the river on river road is good too. can be very good for coho inthe fall. on the main stem of the river, annacis island, brownsville (end of old yale in surrey), derby reach in langley and duncan bar in fort langley/aldergrove are all good bets for "in season" bar fishing. they can be the main producers for spring jacks at this time.
gear , tackle and bait for salmon bar fishing in the lower river is quite specific and very simple and can be done on a budget.
a 9 to 10 1/2 foot medium to medium heavy spinning or baitcasting rod reel combo, rated 12lbs to 20lbs (or 25 for the medium heavy) with a sturdy reel (don't cheap out too much on the reel) loaded with 20 pound maxima chameleon or ultragreen momofilament.
a "bar rig" is attached which has two metal "T's" seperated with 2/0 or 3/0 octopus style salmon hooks
don't cheap on the bar rigs, get the good ones.
Good bait is availlable at berry's in richmond and possibly other tackle locations, but not sure in burnaby.
you want boraxed chum (dog) roe or mature boraxed spring roe.
wieghts are pyramid 3 or 4 ounce for sandy bars and "flat" weights for the muddy bars.
good idea is too find one of these locations and watch the other guys fishing, see how far out they cast, what direction the tide is moving (in or out) when the most people are there. tide direction is often key to when the best bites happen at different bars.
that's all for now but when the rod starts bouncing, set the hook hard  ;)