Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: capilano river  (Read 8769 times)

jacklam999

Re: capilano river
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 12:51:15 PM »

You can use the tide table to fish the Cap in the lower section from Park Royal to around the H1 bridge. Rising tide will bring in some fish. A mid night to dusk high tide can mean good fishing at some of the lower river runs and pools at first light. Roe is the best but lure works too. Be aware of the regulation when roe is banned in August. Fly fishing the upper pools can be very productive especially during lower water period. I find a small olive green nymph fly stripped at high speed quite effective. Quick sink line is better than floating. Good luck with your Cap adventure.

also is the water really deep there? if i have a wader can i walk across the other side of the river if there are too many ppl on one side.

jacklam999

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 12:59:50 PM »

You can use the tide table to fish the Cap in the lower section from Park Royal to around the H1 bridge. Rising tide will bring in some fish. A mid night to dusk high tide can mean good fishing at some of the lower river runs and pools at first light. Roe is the best but lure works too. Be aware of the regulation when roe is banned in August. Fly fishing the upper pools can be very productive especially during lower water period. I find a small olive green nymph fly stripped at high speed quite effective. Quick sink line is better than floating. Good luck with your Cap adventure.

sinking line? will it be easy to be snag the rock? im thinking if i should use a sinking nymph with float line+ strike indicator.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 01:16:30 PM »

thanks, do you think a 6wt fly rod will be enough to handle these fishes. Thanks

Just about perfect for the jacks, as the season heats up, it may be a little too light for some of the bigger fish...

also is the water really deep there? if i have a wader can i walk across the other side of the river if there are too many ppl on one side.

In terms of depth - you can't really cross it in many places, it's mostly 'beach one side, cliff the other' except for some lower parts...but even still I wouldn't cross it...But I do suggest you do some exploring of your own to best understand what it looks like. It's really not that big, you can walk the entire length of it in a half day.

sinking line? will it be easy to be snag the rock? im thinking if i should use a sinking nymph with float line+ strike indicator.

No, as long as you keep it a couple feet off the bottom you'll be fine. Plus if you're fishing in the slower pools there isn't that strong of a current. No need for a strike indicator IMO, the river isn't really set up for that kind of fishing.

jacklam999

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 01:30:01 PM »

thanks how long do u think my leader should be for fly fishing and float fishing. thank you

jacklam999

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 01:32:07 PM »

Just about perfect for the jacks, as the season heats up, it may be a little too light for some of the bigger fish...

In terms of depth - you can't really cross it in many places, it's mostly 'beach one side, cliff the other' except for some lower parts...but even still I wouldn't cross it...But I do suggest you do some exploring of your own to best understand what it looks like. It's really not that big, you can walk the entire length of it in a half day.

No, as long as you keep it a couple feet off the bottom you'll be fine. Plus if you're fishing in the slower pools there isn't that strong of a current. No need for a strike indicator IMO, the river isn't really set up for that kind of fishing.

also i have a 1-6lbs trout rod, is that enough? thank you

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 01:46:58 PM »

Did you read Rod's post? ::)

jacklam999

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 01:56:45 PM »

yes, but i afraid my lb trout rod will break in summer time for those fish

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 02:02:52 PM »

Just bring your medium light action fishing rod (any kind of rods) , roe , flies or spinners and find out for yourself, and this is the most fun part of fishing.....Good luck....

jacklam999

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 02:06:24 PM »

i want to do tht too, but i dont drive, so i hv to take bus and seabus to there

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 02:11:08 PM »

All part of the adventure. I like ordering pizza while up there, mmmmm pizza......
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 02:23:32 PM »

Best to cross this river out then if time is limited and you are worried about having unsuccessful outings. Chances are you will, like many of us, end up only catching fish during one trip out of twenty, so it's probably not worth to take the bus and seabus up there. It also requires a ridiculous amount of time to explore and scout out the spots, which can only be done on foot. No amount of information gathered from this forum will find you fish on this river during the first outing, so it is best to avoid disappointment.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 03:33:38 PM »

You have other options too, like fish close by where you live or bump for a ride....Good luck....Tight line

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 04:34:59 PM »

I second what rod said however I will add this. I started fishing the cap last year, had some successful days and a few that were just downright frustrating. That being said the biggest draw for me is the beauty of this river. There is a reason many tourists are drawn to this river, not just to fish. I don't regret any of my trips to this river despite many unsuccessful trips. Yes if your goal is to catch lots of fish or expect to get something on every trip this river is most likely not for you, unless you live close, I do not. The reason I make the hour and a bit drive is I like to be in awe of what a beautiful province we live in. As for your rod I use a 7wt fly rod or a light bait caster rated 7-15 pound test, it handles any coho that river dishes out and the rare summer steelhead. So yes a ultra light trout outfit may be a bit light...
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 06:46:15 PM »

As Rod mentioned, Cap is not an easy river to fish until fall rain push a lot of salmon up river.
In spring and summer, be very careful when you wade this river as gin clear water may be very deceptive to its true depth. You can easily end up in waist or deeper water by taking one wrong step.

jacklam999

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »

Best to cross this river out then if time is limited and you are worried about having unsuccessful outings. Chances are you will, like many of us, end up only catching fish during one trip out of twenty, so it's probably not worth to take the bus and seabus up there. It also requires a ridiculous amount of time to explore and scout out the spots, which can only be done on foot. No amount of information gathered from this forum will find you fish on this river during the first outing, so it is best to avoid disappointment.

im not worry unsuccessful outfit, just exciting and wanna be prepare, because i never try salmon fishing before. i relaxing just to enjoy the nature.