Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bridge River Drying Racks  (Read 8766 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Bridge River Drying Racks
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 11:00:55 PM »

Hard to comprehend how a discussion of FN drying racks could bring on a blasphemous rant about Jesus Christ, probably the most important individual in recorded history. I hear your disdain for religion, but I don't think it belongs in this discussion.

I am sorry that you felt offended by my comment.
It goes a few years back...to another time...another forum...same poster...similar racist remarks, similar personal attacks.

Yes, I feel strong disdain for any and all organized religion, but nowhere did I say anything negative about Jesus Christ - ever.
I have no beef with Jesus whatsoever. What raises my hackles is what evil/ignorant/misguided people have done in his name in the 2000+ years since (and continue to do, sadly).

As for my comments not belonging in this discussion...I don't know...when somebody makes a blatantly racist comment about the very same people this thread is about, it is certain to elicit a passionate response or two - some classy, some not.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 11:26:20 PM by milo »

Robert_G

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 06:24:17 AM »

As for my comments not belonging in this discussion...I don't know...when somebody makes a blatantly racist comment about the very same people this thread is about, it is certain to elicit a passionate response or two - some classy, some not.

I didn't realize that wanting equality among all people was racist....but since you say its so....then it must be true ::)
When it comes right down to it, the people who demand that special groups have their hand held and be given hand outs for life.....I would say that those are the people who are being discrimitory and racist.

[/quote]
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 06:27:09 AM by Robert_G »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 07:00:41 AM »

I am sorry that you felt offended by my comment.
It goes a few years back...to another time...another forum...same poster...similar racist remarks, similar personal attacks.

Yes, I feel strong disdain for any and all organized religion, but nowhere did I say anything negative about Jesus Christ - ever.
I have no beef with Jesus whatsoever. What raises my hackles is what evil/ignorant/misguided people have done in his name in the 2000+ years since (and continue to do, sadly).

Fair enough, however over history there have been many, many great things done in His name as well.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

StillAqua

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 08:22:38 AM »

.....the people who demand that special groups have their hand held and be given hand outs for life.....

That's one of the most belittling and condescending statements about FN I've ever heard. You need to do some serious reading and try to understand the special place that FNs hold both socially, legally and culturally in greater Canada. Wishing for "complete assimilation" and cultural erasure because they have the legal right to more fish than you is just silly. Like a fish cop once said to me, "they are, after all, just fish".

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 06:04:03 PM »

I didn't realize that wanting equality among all people was racist....but since you say its so....then it must be true ::)

Equality would mean giving FNs back all the land that rightfully belonged to them at the time of first contact and was forcefully taken from them. Equality would mean fully compensating them financially for the resources pillaged from that land in the name of God and the King/Queen du jour. Equality would mean to magically make disappear the consequences of centuries of injustice inflicted upon FNs... I could go on and on, but I am resigned to the fact that no matter how much I or anybody else writes, no one can't fix obtuse. The light must come from within.

So let's agree to disagree on this one and move on.

speycaster

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 07:18:25 PM »

Only to some alwaysfishing, you are allowed your opinion. Mine may vary. ;D

fishbandit66

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 08:25:29 PM »

Equality would mean giving FNs back all the land that rightfully belonged to them at the time of first contact and was forcefully taken from them.

FN did not believe in land "belonging" to them so it may be a bit tough to follow your idealistic advice! That is / was essentially the whole problem - if the land "belonged" to them in the first place settlers could have made a FAIR trade for it and you would have no grounds for such animosity.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 08:42:55 PM »

FN did not believe in land "belonging" to them so it may be a bit tough to follow your idealistic advice! That is / was essentially the whole problem - if the land "belonged" to them in the first place settlers could have made a FAIR trade for it and you would have no grounds for such animosity.

Correct.
Poor choice of words on my part.

Thanks for the clarification.

I should have said "put the management of the land and resources back in the hands of FNs" or something along those lines.

Robert_G

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 06:21:29 AM »

Correct.
Poor choice of words on my part.

Thanks for the clarification.

I should have said "put the management of the land and resources back in the hands of FNs" or something along those lines.

Milo....it's not the 1800s anymore. This is the situation we have today and your ideas aren't realistic for this day and age. We all live here together.....and we all must learn to share equally.
That means everyone should have the right to work, pay taxes, buy and sell property, etc, etc. Why should one person expect to receive more than another without working for it?

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »

Coho are in the river. Gentlemen and fishermen, pick up your rods and charge! Why worry about these heavy baggages of race and religion. Enough said that FN has been mis-treated in the days of old and are being compensated by more reasonable folks today and that should be fine, and that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and he died on the cross for us, and that His teachings, if practiced in all honesty to His original intent, would spare the world of its misery we see today. Now the Vedder is full of coho at some section. Heard of 4 caught by one guy last week. Let's charge down the river and leave these heavy subjects to the politicians and the religious authorities.  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:21:36 PM by liketofish »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 12:14:05 PM »

Coho are in the river. Gentlemen and fishermen, pick up your rods and charge! Why worry about these heavy baggages of race and religion. Enough said that FN has been mis-treated in the days of old and are being compensated by more reasonable folks today and that should be fine, and that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and he died on the cross for us, and that His teachings, if practiced in all honesty to His original intent, would spare the world of its misery we see today. Now the Vedder is full of coho at some section. Heard of 4 caught by one guy last week. Let's charge down the river and leave these heavy subjects to the politicians and the religous authorities.  ;) ;D

Best post on this thread!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Spooner

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 05:37:14 PM »

Milo....it's not the 1800s anymore. This is the situation we have today and your ideas aren't realistic for this day and age. We all live here together.....and we all must learn to share equally.
That means everyone should have the right to work, pay taxes, buy and sell property, etc, etc. Why should one person expect to receive more than another without working for it?

So why the eye roll and comment about TRADITIONAL METHODS of fishing !!!!! ???

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 09:35:22 PM »

The problem, Robert, is that British Columbians voted in 1871 to join Canada and participate in your system of "work, pay taxes, buy and sell property, etc, etc." and those that immigrated to Canada also made a choice to participate in that system.  However, the FN people living here did not, and until they do, they have as much right to live their lives any damn well way they please.  Our government, from the King that claimed sovereignty over this land, down to the parliament of this new nation, have always recognized that these people have a right to self determination, and so we cannot say now that well, enough time has past now so we can ignore your rights and force you to accept our way of life and assimilate you into our culture.  So unless you are willing to move your my friend out of their territory and let them live their lives however they see fit, you are going to have to live with the fact that until a deal is reached through the treaty process, and they join our country as citizens on their own terms (BC was called as the Spoilt Child of Confederation due the exorbitant demands its citizens made to join Confederation), we are going to have to support them on the tiny reserves WE created for them (FN reserves in BC are the smallest in Canada and FN have the highest levels of child poverty and unemployment as well).
Not all those who wander are lost

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 11:10:10 PM »

When I posted this I thought there would be hardly any comments and I get back from 5 days of hunting and fishing and wow. ::)

I am now scared to post some video of what I filmed this time but some video of a bear feeding should be OK? ;D ;D

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 08:21:59 AM »

Yes Chris, it sured veered off course quickly as politics, race and religion entered into what was an interesting and quite innocent video you put up. Oh well, hopefully the people involved got their moneys worth. Thanks for posting the vid, I enjoyed it and look forward to many more.

Have a Great weekend Everyone and Good Fishing All !!!