Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bridge River Drying Racks  (Read 8765 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Bridge River Drying Racks
« on: September 07, 2012, 06:05:23 AM »

Not sure if many of you have been to the Bridge River area on the Fraser River to see the First Nations drying racks. Their season is just wrapping up but they do offer tours in season. I shot this brief video from above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faf7YChHJHw&feature=share&list=UU_4LtEFjHj-ulBHuoq6COmQ

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: Bridge River Drying Racks
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 08:02:01 AM »

Very interesting video Chris. I was expecting a lot more activity and to see some people moving about. It shows the natives living and doing what they've done for centuries along the banks of the mighty Fraser. Thanks for posting !!!

Robert_G

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »

It shows the natives living and doing what they've done for centuries along the banks of the mighty Fraser. Thanks for posting !!!

Of course....using powerboats and the comforts of modern technology to catch their fish has always been a native tradition ::)

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 06:31:25 PM »

Of course....using powerboats and the comforts of modern technology to catch their fish has always been a native tradition ::)

Why is it the someone always has to post this nonsense?  This comment is predicated on, or at the very least is going to foster, the belief that the First Nations culture, including their technology, was stagnant when Europeans arrived with their more "advanced" technology and therefore First Nations' culture and traditions cannot possibly grow and evolve, like all civilizations do when they come in contact with a new civilization and new technology.  The First Nations' right to fish has nothing to do with the technology they use, but with their rights as a sovereign people to not have their culture completely eradicated by a conquering power.  The fact that their traditional technology (air drying) is just as effective, or more effective) today as more "modern" technologies (salting, freezing, etc) is a testament to their cultural ingenuity at the time of contact.
Not all those who wander are lost

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 08:23:43 PM »

Why is it the someone always has to post this nonsense?  This comment is predicated on, or at the very least is going to foster, the belief that the First Nations culture, including their technology, was stagnant when Europeans arrived with their more "advanced" technology and therefore First Nations' culture and traditions cannot possibly grow and evolve, like all civilizations do when they come in contact with a new civilization and new technology.  The First Nations' right to fish has nothing to do with the technology they use, but with their rights as a sovereign people to not have their culture completely eradicated by a conquering power.  The fact that their traditional technology (air drying) is just as effective, or more effective) today as more "modern" technologies (salting, freezing, etc) is a testament to their cultural ingenuity at the time of contact.

X2, Well said Sandman !

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 09:49:03 PM »

Very interesting video Chris. I was expecting a lot more activity and to see some people moving about. It shows the natives living and doing what they've done for centuries along the banks of the mighty Fraser. Thanks for posting !!!
Not many people around as season was near the end. Would be nice to go and observe when the fishing is on. I believe most of the capture is done by dip nets from the shore. A very rough area as far as stream flows go. One First Nation person stopped while I was cooking supper, where I filmed from and he said some racks got washed away during the high water of 2012.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 10:21:05 PM »

It would sure be interesting to see them using the dip nets, I've never seen it before. And thats what I was thinking Chris was that although right now its approachable I could of just imagined how it was a month or two before. It would be scarey to see, I'm sure.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 10:46:42 PM »

It would sure be interesting to see them using the dip nets, I've never seen it before. And thats what I was thinking Chris was that although right now its approachable I could of just imagined how it was a month or two before. It would be scarey to see, I'm sure.
They put on tours as I mentioned, maybe we get Rodney to charter a bus for FWR subscribers. ;D ;D

Spooner

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 10:31:51 PM »

Thanks Chris, one of my favorite snacks along with dried seaweed and a cold beverage or two!!!   
Maybe traditional orange juice  ;)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 11:03:53 PM »

No kidding, eh, Robert?  ???
Those godless heathens the Indians...how dare they invoke their traditions, yet use modern technology? You'd rather have them confined to reservations (wait, they already are!) and have their kids taken to Christian residential schools where the teachings of Jesus Christ are to be shoved up their butts (sometimes literally!). >:(

Following your analogy, Christian missionaries today should go spread the word of JC only on foot, by boat and horse carriage, never by plane. And those darn priests giving the Sunday mass - how dare they use microphones and PA systems to spread the word of God? By your same token, Billy Graham should have shunned TV and radio, for they are also comforts of modern technology.

Give your head a shake, Robert.  ::)

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 11:13:21 PM »

Those godless heathens the Indians...how dare they invoke their traditions, yet use modern technology? You'd rather have them confined to reservations (wait, they already are!) and have their kids taken to Christian residential schools where the teachings of Jesus Christ are to be shoved up their butts (sometimes literally!). >:(

Following your analogy, Christian missionaries today should go spread the word of JC only on foot, by boat and horse carriage, never by plane. And those darn priests giving the Sunday mass - how dare they use microphones and PA systems to spread the word of God? By your same token, Billy Graham should have shunned TV and radio, for they are also comforts of modern technology.

Well said Milo, well said.

Robert_G

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 07:24:21 PM »

..delete...delete...delete.

Crap like this isn't even worth responding too. I will say this though.....whether you like it or not, special interest groups will be completely abolished one day soon. I look forward to that day greatly. Until this happens though, you can continue living as a doormat.

Edit....even though Sandman has about as little backbone as you do....at least he can be polite.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 07:27:09 PM by Robert_G »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 07:42:42 PM »

Crap like this isn't even worth responding too. I will say this though.....whether you like it or not, special interest groups will be completely abolished one day soon. I look forward to that day greatly. Until this happens though, you can continue living as a doormat.

Edit....even though Sandman has about as little backbone as you do....at least he can be polite.

Well not sure about the doormat (or the backbone), but I, too, look forward to that day Robert, but with trepidation, as I will either be cheering or weeping on that day,  for that day will mark the day when the interests of those minorities (for whom those "special interest groups" advocate) will be protected once and for all, and so the need for their advocacy will be no more...or else it will be the day that the will of the majority tramples, once and for all, the rights of the minority.  BTW, it takes far more backbone to stand up in the face of the majority and fight for the interests of the minority than it does to stand with the crowd and shout down at the minority.
Not all those who wander are lost

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 07:52:03 PM »

Crap like this isn't even worth responding too.
I will say this though.....whether you like it or not, special interest groups will be completely abolished one day soon. I look forward to that day greatly. Until this happens though, you can continue living as a doormat.

Robert G into English translation: "faced with the irrefutability of Sandman's and Milo's arguments, I have no choice but to pretend I had written a sensible reply and then deleted it."

Of course, Robert wouldn't go down without throwing at us a choice personal attack.
How unchristian of him - shame on him.

Being the (im)polite guy I am, I will only reply that I myself can't wait for the day when special interest groups be abolished, beginning with all organized religious groups.

edited to add: Sandman, your response to Robert G was very classy and very well thought of. Although you and I sometimes don't see eye to eye, my hat is off to you on this one, sir.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:02:09 PM by milo »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 09:39:03 PM »

No kidding, eh, Robert?  ???

Give your head a shake, Robert.  ::)

Hard to comprehend how a discussion of FN drying racks could bring on a blasphemous rant about Jesus Christ, probably the most important individual in recorded history. I hear your disdain for religion, but I don't think it belongs in this discussion.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[