Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A great day  (Read 8780 times)

urbanflyfisher

Re: A great day
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2011, 11:05:49 PM »

No problem JJJ, today was slow as molasses ::), hooked into one around around 1pm and came right off, next one was at 4.30 and also came off :( the magic hour was a dud also... hope that rain tomorrow brings more fish.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2011, 07:57:03 AM »

First time ive seen this method used was over 10 years ago on the cap, this one guy was getting one after the other, basically you tie a 9ft 4lbs leader to your main line with a green wooly, first split shot about 12inches away, and two more at 8 inches(Fairly small split shot) cast out let it sink and retrieve, twitch the rod a bit to give it some action, works almost as well as fly fishing, this is the setup i normally tell people to use, it works! Poor mans flyfishing without the expensive equipment, dont know how well it works in other areas... but when the cap is low and slow its the way to go :) every year it been consistent from what ive seen.

And yes you do get snagged on the rocks at times. Trick is to not let the fly hit the bottom, time it, and retrieve.  Use small split shot.

Thats basically it.

Sounds like a great alternative when there's limited or no backcast room for a fly rod... ;)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2011, 09:13:57 AM »

Sounds like a great alternative when there's limited or no backcast room for a fly rod... ;)

that's one of many situations where a good roll cast will save the day

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2011, 11:55:26 PM »

Indeed, thats all you do there is roll cast, the spinning rod method is a great way to fish if one does not have a fly rod, and its been very productive for the people who employ the technique.

Well i finally landed a fish today, after days of loosing them, a nice silver estimated 4lbs coho ;D i decided to keep it, since i gave the other two away to my parents, good eating!

Quite a fight it put up, got half way into my backing ;D, lost one earlier.. so was quite happy to land this one.

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 11:33:03 PM »

Had another awesome day ;D got there around 5pm, first two were foul hooked, first of the year for me... usually that never happens, all released safely without coming out of the water, then around 8pm it really picked up, they were striking right near the surface, lost the first one as i was climbing down, took my fly with it, then around 8.45pm i hooked into a real beauty, about 5lbs id say, a real chromer. watched it take the fly a foot below the surface and it was fish on! awesome fight ;D another fisherman helped me snap a pic of it... nicest fish of the year on the cap for me so far.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 11:35:18 PM by urbanflyfisher »