Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A great day  (Read 8777 times)

urbanflyfisher

A great day
« on: August 09, 2011, 11:41:33 PM »

Well i decided to hit the cable pool after work today, got there around 5.20 pm, two fly fisherman were just leaving and i had the place all to myself, a friend of mine was fishing the adjoining rocks, 4 casts later fish on! nice 3lb coho female, ten minutes later another fish, but it spat the hook within the first minute, then nothing for about an hour, then another fish! but it broke the line as i was climbing down, few minutes later after retying a i watched a large coho follow my fly up and hit it right by the surface, when i tried to set the hook the fly came out, half hour later bam another big fish, this one was a hell of a fight, it ran up river to the bridge and into most of the backing on the reel... before i got thing under control, was just about to land it when it freaked and broke the line, i was choked :'( then around 8.55pm another fish on, managed to land this one, so six fish in 4 hours, 4 lost, 2 landed. Got my limit.

Gear used, my 9ft 5wt fly rod, full sinking line, 9 foot 4lbs leader, size 14 olive wooly bugger, my best day yet in the last few years on the river ;D

I normaly do C&R, but my parents are in town and asked me to bring them a fish, i brought them two.

I got an iphone  pic... but its not the greatest quality, was shot at my parent's place. but i cant figure out how to upload it using this type of forum software...

A great day on the local river. ;D

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Re: A great day
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 11:47:46 PM »

/

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 11:53:46 PM »

Well i do prefer when its low, when it was running around 3 on the river gauge, i couldnt get anything, for the last two weeks its been incredible, nine last week in 3 days, 3 in 45 minutes on thursday, most take it on the way up and you could see them come up and strike, i started flyfishing the cap as a kid in 97, been there on and off since then. but today was rather spectacular, the water level was dropping today, when i left the bottom of the stairs was dry.

Lost a nice 7lbs+ coho on sunday due to too low of drag and the reel freespooled, got a loop in it...got caught in the reel and broke the leader.

But today made up for that lost fish ;D

so how do i upload pics?

ihatefisheadsoup

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 11:57:59 PM »

which river were you fishing today?

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 11:59:09 PM »

The cap ;D

ihatefisheadsoup

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 12:05:51 AM »

oh wow, I never have any luck on the cap. good job!

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 12:13:52 AM »

Thanks!

As i tell people, its the equipment most of the time, try to keep your presentation super small,(i fly fish only) 4 lbs leader and size 14-16 green wooly's and leaches, olive green has been the hot color for as long as i can remember, keep your drag quite loose, if fly fishing use a full sinking line, sink tip works but i prefer full sinking level line.

Same could be done with a spinning rod with a fly and split shot, i helped this one guy last week set up his rod, and sure enough it worked, and he got a beautiful 4lbs female within the hour.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:17:07 AM by urbanflyfisher »

ihatefisheadsoup

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 12:35:54 AM »

thanks for the tips, well I am new into fishing. so far I have a baitcasting set up (convergence with abu 6500 c3) and a spinning setup. when are you heading there again? maybe you could help me out ha.

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 12:43:17 AM »

Will be there tomorrow, after work, after 5pm, always glad to help new fishermen :)

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 01:06:16 AM »

figured out how to do it, thanks youtube ;D they were both ok the second is quite silver still, not spoiled yet. there are a few blue backs in there now, but since the water level is low not much running through.

The big one i lost today was a real chromer.. Saw her take the fly near the surface and set the hook... what a fight on a 5wt :o Got a nice line burn on my right index finger... ;D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 01:35:23 AM by urbanflyfisher »

ihatefisheadsoup

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 08:43:59 AM »

Will be there tomorrow, after work, after 5pm, always glad to help new fishermen :)

thanks, but I will be working late today(wednesday)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 09:05:51 AM »

I think I recognize you as the guy who pinched a kids barbed treble hook down a few days ago..??

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 09:27:26 AM »

That was me, i was going to break off the other two points, but decided to just change his hook to a single.

Fishheadsoup, i might go there on the weekend, was thinking of hitting the lakes around whistler... but havent decided yet.

ihatefisheadsoup

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 09:41:18 AM »

Fishheadsoup, i might go there on the weekend, was thinking of hitting the lakes around whistler... but havent decided yet.

Thank you so much, but I will be leaving on saturday to my 2 weeks fishing trip to sunshine coast/ Vancouver Island.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:05:17 AM by ihatefisheadsoup »

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 09:46:34 AM »

Hmm...a 5wt?  I had put off flyfishing the cap due to the fact that I opted to turn my 2-piece into a 3-piece asymmetrical pack rod  :'(

Will have to get out there and give it a shot.  What's the technique for flyfishing cable pool?  Down and across, or just retrieve?

J
- John A.