Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Definition of Beako  (Read 8804 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: The Definition of Beako
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2009, 08:38:22 PM »

I'd take a "hot beak" with me fishing anyday. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 10:13:45 PM »

The term I grew up hearing long before "beek" was coined was passed on to me as a young 'un from my dad and all his cronies back in the late fifties when I was barely 5 years old.  Their name for a screwup or newbie was "scissorbill"...I believe it originated in Britain.  Many a gilly over there called their poor fishing clients scissorbills.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »

There is no specific definition of the term "beak". It's a generic derogatory term used by some fishermen who likes to deride other fishermen who do not conform to their own values or beliefs. Here are some examples:

- people wearing yellow raingear

- using spinning reels and carrying tackle boxes

- drift or bottom bouncing

- people fishing on the Fraser for sockeyes

- keeping dark fish

- snagging fish

- using braid lines

- dragging fish up the beach

- people that take a bucket with them fishing.

I have seen it a couple times and never really understood why.
Be careful now, I took a bucket along coho fishing a couple of times the past season to sit on, no not what you are thinking. ;D ;D I used it to sit on when tying up and taking a rest at the run we were fishing. Wait until you become an old timer and you will understand. :-\ ;D

I also bring a small bucket that hooks on to the outside of my backpack if I know I will be going to one spot and fishing boraxed roe hard from shore I will bring it along to easily wash my hands in right after I bait up rather than going to the water and possibly spooking fish and putting them off with my scent. Other times I just bring a cloth but the bucket is nice to have.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2009, 10:57:47 PM »

The term I grew up hearing long before "beek" was coined was passed on to me as a young 'un from my dad and all his cronies back in the late fifties when I was barely 5 years old.  Their name for a screwup or newbie was "scissorbill"...I believe it originated in Britain.  Many a gilly over there called their poor fishing clients scissorbills.
A good late friend of mine's name was Bill and we in good humour called him Scissor Bill. He was from England too and he called himself that too.