Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Definition of Beako  (Read 8805 times)

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
The Definition of Beako
« on: January 31, 2009, 06:58:20 PM »

People have been asking what the definition of a Beako is lately.  After talking with Chris over breakfast this morning I figured it would be easiest to post a couple photos of a Beako so here you go, enjoy. ;D

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 06:59:44 PM by Rodney »
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: The Definition of Beako
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 07:00:40 PM »

You used the wrong link. :P You should be using the "img code" not "html code", just stick to steelheading from now on. Show off. ;D

bederko

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 07:02:50 PM »

Geez, one little screwup and I get nailed by the moderator, take a pill... ;D ;D
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 07:14:03 PM »

I found where you were fishing today.

bederko

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 07:47:31 PM »

Jim,

I'm not sure who wrote that in the sand but I was there today, saw you and a friend working the spey rods. 8)

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 08:13:12 PM »

were you with the old guy?  cammo touque?

btw- I did not write that in the sand, just thought it was funny.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 08:23:53 PM »

were you with the old guy?  cammo touque?

btw- I did not write that in the sand, just thought it was funny.
Yes he is an OLD beako begone, he always has been one. ;D ;D

The inscription in the sand was there yesterday.

bederko

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 08:46:58 PM »

I wasn't with an "old" guy on the river but I did have breakfast at the cafe with 2 of them... ;D ;D ;D
I wear a black toque that says "Beako"

Buck_wife

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 09:39:28 PM »

lol
you're hilarious!! ;D
George, the kids and I were just talking about that black toque of yours just recently.....I think we were looking at river clean up pictures and one of our kids was wondering about it. thought it was pretty cool. :D
next time you get your picture taken with a fish outside, phone first, and then we'll stand on our deck and wave, maybe you'll be able to see all us beaks in the background.  :P

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 10:21:41 PM »

I wasn't with an "old" guy on the river but I did have breakfast at the cafe with 2 of them... ;D ;D ;D
I wear a black toque that says "Beako"

Was one of them wearing a Make Belief baseball cap ? ;D ;D

bederko

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 09:02:33 AM »

FA,

Yes, I believe he was.  Kept mumbling unintelligibly about pawning off used up players on Vancouver. ;D 

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 04:21:38 PM »

Here are a couple pics of TRUE beeks...

and last but not least...
\
Well...since I am one of the "beeks" in your photo lineup could you enlighten me as to what the term means?  I haven't seen the definition spelled out in this thread yet and being a relative newbie I am not familiar with the all the lingo.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 04:24:11 PM by fishseeker »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 04:26:02 PM »

Questionable photos removed. Last warning.

Fishseeker, don't worry about trollers on the forum.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 04:30:07 PM »

Questionable photos removed. Last warning.

Fishseeker, don't worry about trollers on the forum.
Thanks Rodney I appreciate that because I was about to take the guy to task over that remark.  I have heard the term "beek" used and I am still not sure what it means but I do know it is not generally used as a complement.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 04:37:43 PM »

Thanks Rodney I appreciate that because I was about to take the guy to task over that remark.  I have heard the term "beek" used and I am still not sure what it means but I do know it is not generally used as a complement.

Among the small circle of friends, we use the term to humour each other when we do something silly. Generally it is simply a local slang for individuals who are unaware of what they are doing. Why some experienced anglers can't remain humble and instead choose to use it as an insult on those who are trying to learn is baffling. Immaturity perhaps, even at an older age. We've all been there, teachers should remember that they were also once students.