Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Braid issue.  (Read 2284 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Braid issue.
« on: September 06, 2015, 09:06:27 AM »

I'm pretty inexperienced with braid. The last couple years I've had braid on my big bar rods and that's the only experience I have. This year I put braid on my pink setup and took it into the mouth of the vedder a couple days ago. It's 10lb braid on a 9' noodle and small trout spinning reel.

The problem I'm having is I was twitching jigs, I think the way I reel up the slack after lifting the tip, was causing the braid to be wound on the spool mostly at the base of the spool, and being wound loosely. Which was ok until I would make every 10-15th cast and a tangle would happen in the guides.
This never happens to me using 8lb mono same rod same reel, and doesn't happen tossing metal

The reel doesn't have to much line on it, if anything it's a little low now after all my knots I got.
Maybe it's my technique which I tried to reel in the slack a little nicer.
Anyone else have this problem with braid?.

DRP79

Re: Braid issue.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 09:32:48 AM »

Maybe need a bit heavier of a jig? Ive had tangles like you mention when trying to cast something too light.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 09:56:52 AM »

The problem I'm having is I was twitching jigs, I think the way I reel up the slack after lifting the tip, was causing the braid to be wound on the spool mostly at the base of the spool, and being wound loosely. Which was ok until I would make every 10-15th cast and a tangle would happen in the guides.

I use braid but dont twitch jigs very often but this is probably the issue here. Loose braid is not good for performance, as you see. It will grab itself when casting creating havoc, or dig into itself when under pressure of a fish. I guess reeling in slack line is just the nature of jig fishing.

One thing you might consider is if you notice it starting to look a bit loose (experience will tell you how much you can get away with), maybe do a nice long cast to clear your reel then reel it straight in under some tension to try and re-spool it nice and tight? Dont let it accumulate and you should be ok...

kevzabob

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 11:29:20 AM »

I twitch jigs on my braided line. I also use a very long bumper line. When twitching raise the tip of the rod slowly and let it fall reeling in slowly. I haven't gotten a tangle yet. Don't know if that will help

fish fishburn

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 02:14:15 PM »

Tying direct to the line and using a twitch/jig motion will twist you line. Try tying on a small quality swivel then your jig and your problem should be solved.