Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly fishing newbie questions  (Read 3400 times)

Piranha

Fly fishing newbie questions
« on: July 05, 2007, 12:08:39 AM »

I tryed fly fishing for the first time and really enjoyed it.

Question I have is my fly fising line kept getting longer and longer every cast up until it was difficult to cast.
Do I put my thumb on the reel to hold it in place when I get the desired distance or do i hold the line with my free hand? 

Also I could only cast about 15 feet. Is this normal?
I bought a starters combo reel, rod 9' #5, line, backing, and leader from wallmart for $50. The brand name is Angler made here in Burnaby.
Is this good set up or bad?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Fly fishing newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 12:13:46 AM »

I tryed fly fishing for the first time and really enjoyed it.

Question I have is my fly fising line kept getting longer and longer every cast up until it was difficult to cast.
Do I put my thumb on the reel to hold it in place when I get the desired distance or do i hold the line with my free hand? 

Also I could only cast about 15 feet. Is this normal?
I bought a starters combo reel, rod 9' #5, line, backing, and leader from wallmart for $50. The brand name is Angler made here in Burnaby.
Is this good set up or bad?

Hold the line with the free hand.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 12:16:19 AM »

I can't answer your questions as I am not a master caster, or even just a good caster. ;) I would recommend that you come out on Saturday to join us in Steveston, because there will be a couple of flycasting instructors providing free lessons between 10am and 3pm. You can then ask them all the questions and get the answers immediately. Bring your setup if you want, the flycasting instructors will have theirs for you to try out too.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=15025.0

Piranha

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 12:29:55 AM »

That sounds like it will be a very interesting day at Stevesten on saturday. Unfortunately I will have to work this weekend.
Any place in lower mainland that offer fly fishing lessons?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 12:32:08 AM »

Too bad about Saturday.

Contact Newsman on this forum as he does some classes.

Pacific Angler also does courses.

http://www.pacificangler.ca

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 06:31:05 PM »

Afew little tips that I can offer on the casting are, don't try to throw the line with the rod. Start the motion fomr a slow start and accellerate through to a fast stop. Also alot of beginners have a habit of sropping their back cast, make sure you keep an eye on it, I hear alot of people say 10:00 and 2:00 positions but end up in 9:00 and 3:00. It's really more like 11:00 and 1:00.

If you watch the loop you make while casting it will tell you alot, if it's a big 6ft or larger loop then you are flopping the rod to far, it should be  fairly small loop and be kept moving almost paralel to the ground.

Practice with about 20ft or so of line out of the rod tip. Practice with that amount until you can keep it under control. For most the best you're gonna be able to cast the line is about 40 or so ft. After that you will need to learn how to haul the line, that's where the left hand gets put to work, and things get fun  ;D

I forgot to add, timing and form are the most important thing, never try to use more muscle it will just go bad. At least not until you get good. ;)