Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder river fishing  (Read 5430 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Vedder river fishing
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 09:12:51 AM »

Wow ! Thank you so much ! Anytime you need to know anything about Ireland drop me a message. I知 a guide over here! So I知 thinking 3-4 hours after high tide in Vancouver the canal would prob be a good starter. Is the canal section tidal? Not sure with the distance. Also I知 thinking start of October? Not sure what way the coho runs starts. I知 primarily looking coho but any fish would be a lot of fun. I知 guessing float fished roe is the vedder standard?

Base tides on New Westminster which is on the river. There is about a 2 hour delay. Tide predictions are on line:

https://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/eng/station?sid=7654.

The Canal section to about the Keith Wilson road area is affected by tides though tides will affect fish numbers in the lower river as they come up river on a rising tide. In the canal you can see them move upstream as the river starts to rise. My experience is fishing is best in the first period following the ebb and the river starts to rise.

the level of the Fraser river can also impact water levels in the canal. If the Fraser is high perhaps after rain storms up north the canal will be high and fishing not so good  there.

The Coho run usually peaks about mid October though fishing stays good till month end. This is also a pink salmon year and they will be in the river at that time and possibly spawning. You need to avoid them. Chinook and chum will also be in the river in numbers by then. All these species will take flies readily if you want to try that. Most of the local shops carry appropriate patterns. Casting lures specifically spinners and spoons is also effective as are jigs which has become very popular in the last several years.

The fishing is very crowded basically 7 days a week and something of a gong show. Compared to what you might be use to in Ireland and Europe, you might be shocked.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Mickyireland

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 10:22:42 AM »

Thank you so much for you detailed reply. Just fantastic. Is the start of October to early for coho ? I was thinking oct 1st to approx oct 12th. Thanks again

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2021, 05:45:30 PM »

Wow ! Thank you so much ! Anytime you need to know anything about Ireland drop me a message. I知 a guide over here! So I知 thinking 3-4 hours after high tide in Vancouver the canal would prob be a good starter. Is the canal section tidal? Not sure with the distance. Also I知 thinking start of October? Not sure what way the coho runs starts. I知 primarily looking coho but any fish would be a lot of fun. I知 guessing float fished roe is the vedder standard?
The entire month of October is a great time for coho. The run usually peaks around the middle of October. Another method of catching coho is chucking spoons at them. I have had a lot of success spoon fishing for them the last couple of seasons and don稚 have to put up with using messy roe. They will smash a spoon and usually jump out of the water when hooked making for great sport.

Mickyireland

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2021, 01:21:04 AM »

Your the man ! Thank you kindly. Have a great day bro

spoiler

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2021, 10:11:05 AM »

Vedder River Coho are very good salmon for fly fishing. I have had many days where fly fishing out-performed all other methods.
Generally think small and sparse when it comes to flies and fish back waters with little or no current with a stripping retrieve.

Mickyireland

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2021, 11:08:40 AM »

That you kindly! Is it the same sort of patterns as Alaska ? Leeches etc

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2021, 12:21:02 PM »

That you kindly! Is it the same sort of patterns as Alaska ? Leeches etc

No smaller flies. :

Mickey Finn:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=43694.0

Rolled Muddler:

Coho Dart

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=43710.msg414725#msg414725

Olive wooly bugger

The KCK: http://www.flycraftangling.com/index.asp?p=145&szArticleButtonCommand=view&nArticleID=54

there are others such as the Christmas Tree, also called the Flash Fly and the #9 have become popular lately

the #9 - https://www.bcoutdoorsmagazine.com/9-a-love-potion-for-salmon-trout/

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2021, 12:40:59 PM »

Check out the Jolly Miller pub for lunch which is very close to the river on Vedder rd. A Steamworks Flagship IPA and a plate of wings goes down good when taking a break from the river.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2021, 12:41:08 PM »

Depending on your means of transport, you may wish to consider other river systems.

The Stave River is a lot of fun if you want to try catching Chum, which are very willing and eager bitters in the second week of October.  You would have to be very unlucky not to catch chum at this location.  Note, you will need bigger gear though as they can be rod breakers.  A Spey rod can be a lot of fun.  You can also catch coho on this system, but like the Vedder it is a first light fishery because of the fishing pressure.  Access is reasonable and you can walk and wade most of the two shorelines.

For the sheer epic experience, it would be worth trying to arrange a trip to fish the Harrison.  Big Chum and decent coho runs.  This would be worthwhile organizing a guided trip.  Spectacular scenery and fishing.  There maybe people on this forum who would be willing to take you in their boat.  I have a small 10 footer and 6 hp motor that puts puts up the river slowly, but I will probably do a few trips and you are welcome to join me if the timing works out and I'm solo.

There are lots of Youtube videos on both systems, to get the juices flowing.

If you are not looking for retention and happy to catch and release, there are other systems worth experiencing, however you would need a means of independent travel.  PM me for more information.

Mickyireland

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2021, 12:44:23 PM »

Absolutely fantastic response! Thank you so Much !

Roderick

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2021, 01:05:35 PM »

October 1st is close to the average date that the rains arrive here.  If the rain hasn't arrived and the river is low, the fish still slowly make their way up river.  This is the time when small presentations like flies or single eggs work.  You may find it starts raining once you get here. When the river goes up (and the water clarity goes down) the fish shoot up river very quickly and it's time to change to larger presentations like flashy lures or larger chunks of roe. 
You shoulda been here yesterday.

Mickyireland

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2021, 01:20:50 PM »

Thank you my man ! Fantastic!