Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lingcod off ambleside  (Read 2237 times)

Jacobleboe

Lingcod off ambleside
« on: July 21, 2021, 12:01:11 AM »

I was out trolling for some coho in my little boat today and I somehow hooked into a little lingcod in about 30 feet of water. I wanted to know if anyone else has ever caught lingcod there because I’ve never heard of them hanging out around ambleside. Also any tips on trolling for coho would be appreciated ie depths, speeds and times of day. I’ve hooked a few but they seem to all pop off when I get them to the surface. I don’t have a fish finder so I’m adjusting my depth around what time of day it is but I’ve really just guessing so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Paulo

Re: Lingcod off ambleside
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 08:49:00 PM »

In 30 yrs of fishing the NS for Coho I have ever only once caught a lingcod off the green marker and that was many yrs ago. The closer you get to the mouth the more tight lipped these fish are. Sometimes they hold on the flats at the Pink Apartments, (Navy Jack Point) to about the 28th street jetty. Its fairly shallow in there so 30' sometimes will drag the bottom. Tides, watch the tides. Incoming tides are best. The less water movement the better. One hour before to one hour after would be considered the prime time. If you want to travel a little further you can go to the Fisheries building just before Point Atkinson. Sometimes the fish out there will be more willing to bite. This is a little deeper water depending how far into the bay you want to go. White hootchies I would say is the top producers but green, green spackleback and purple onion all have their time as well. The last thing, speed. 2.5k is on the slow side. 2.7 - 3 is probably the target. There are some who go faster. This is just one man's opinion. Good luck and tight lines.

Jacobleboe

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 11:57:48 PM »

Thanks so much

Roderick

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 01:36:02 PM »

The ling cod and rock fish were pretty much wiped out years ago by overfishing, hence the current retention ban on those fish.  It's good to hear of you catching one.  Maybe one day there will be more, but because the time to sexual maturity is very long, I expect to never see retention in Area 28. 
You shoulda been here yesterday.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 07:46:22 AM »

In 30 yrs of fishing the NS for Coho I have ever only once caught a lingcod off the green marker and that was many yrs ago. The closer you get to the mouth the more tight lipped these fish are. Sometimes they hold on the flats at the Pink Apartments, (Navy Jack Point) to about the 28th street jetty. Its fairly shallow in there so 30' sometimes will drag the bottom. Tides, watch the tides. Incoming tides are best. The less water movement the better. One hour before to one hour after would be considered the prime time. If you want to travel a little further you can go to the Fisheries building just before Point Atkinson. Sometimes the fish out there will be more willing to bite. This is a little deeper water depending how far into the bay you want to go. White hootchies I would say is the top producers but green, green spackleback and purple onion all have their time as well. The last thing, speed. 2.5k is on the slow side. 2.7 - 3 is probably the target. There are some who go faster. This is just one man's opinion. Good luck and tight lines.

Listen yo this advice and catch fish.