Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bleeding Herring  (Read 11704 times)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: Bleeding Herring
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 10:55:14 PM »

"Correlation does not always equal causation."

ummm are you serious. So you ignore all the problems that fish farms have caused worldwide because of that cow cud of a comment?

It is not a question about ignoring.  Correlation can be useful, but it can also be limited in what it can tell you.  Fish farm activists ignore these cons and basically abuse it.  Just because there is a correlation between two variables does not necessarily mean those one of those variables influences the other.  Correlation can point researchers in the right direction to prove cause and effect; however, in order for that to be defensible the correlation need to be further explored to see if their is a causal relationship.  In the case of models that use correlation they are dependent on certain assumption being valid as well as the information being put into them.  If assumptions get violated then all bets are off.  A perfect example of a model gone bad is Krkosek et al 2007 where they predicting the local extinction of Pink Salmon in the Broughton area.  How are Pinks doing now there or other areas along our coast?  Reading the headlines lately, TB?  What this can indicate is there is a little more to host, pathogen and environmental interactions that is not being covered by correlation.  However, if you still do not agree feel free to look into more on your own.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 12:45:47 AM »

"Fish farm activists ignore these cons and basically abuse it."

Thought about that too. Then :

"If assumptions get violated then all bets are off."

I realized needed a few more beer to understand wtf your getting at
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 04:50:54 AM »

I realized needed a few more beer to understand wtf your getting at

How did that work for you troutbreath?

I'm also looking for a solution to his gaffle blab...    ::)   ::)   ::)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

banx

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 12:13:19 PM »

I don't think anyone in england got sick from mad cow disease. I don't think anyone in china got sick fom h1n1.  I'm almost 100% sure no one got sick from the swine flu either.

viruses don't mutate.  it's impossible for a virus to go from one species to another.  it's never happened and will never happen. 

are the farms hiring?