Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chasing Springs On The Fraser Once Again  (Read 2097 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chasing Springs On The Fraser Once Again
« on: June 08, 2005, 11:31:42 PM »

Will be a short report tonight as after 11 hours on the water today I had to drive to 200th for a SDA meeting and just got back so a little tired to say the least.

I got a late start on Tuesday due partly to retriving the rubber under the freeway bridge using Leaf Craft #2 as the rescue boat raft. Have not been able to locate the owner yet, it is not avery good one a two person cheapy. The two drennan's a #4 piker and a #4 zeppler are most likely worth more. ;D

As well had to do a golf balll walk as their was a BC Amateur Championship going on and they were all supposed to be used Titelist Pro V 1's. I have a order for some at $27.50 a doz. cheap as they are close to $75.00 new. I found 4 during the walk along the dyke and in the ditc including 20 other types.

I finally get the Leaf Mobile loaded and on the way and make my first cast at 6:15, 6 hours later than the orignal plans.

The arsenic today comprises once again of pro cured prawn tails drifting under "Randog's" lucky float. Out of respect to him I have not afixed a Toronto Maple Leaf emblem. ;D Of course he is a diehard Canuck fan. ::)

The weather is a bit wet and cool for this time of year but I have only 3 or so hours left of daylight so I eager to make the most of it.

I am getting the usual PK bites but what I like about the prawn tails these little critters have a hard time prying prawns loose from the 2-0 gammy.

Around 1:30 into the trip good old "Randog" float slips below the surface, I set the hook, well this time for a change maybe because I had got lots of practice on the 3 day trip with the Master fishing with the indicator.

The fish puts up a good scrap for his size of around 10 pounds. The fish tries his best to shake the foreign object from his mouth by diving under some brush but I apply enough pressure without breaking the 12 pound main and 10 pound leader to keep him away from the greenery.

I pull the telescopic net together and slip it into the water. I direct the silver bullet of a fish head first into the inclosure successfully for the fourth of the young season. 1 jack, 2 springs retained and one adult released.

Pleased with my success I decide to stop fishing for the rest of the remaining daylight and find some accommodation for the night. I guess I got spoiled with Nick last week as he says" No more roughing it for me anymore". I was getting use to sleeping in the LM.

I book into an older motel but it has Express View TV I believe it is called so after cleaning my fish which turns out to be a hen fish I fall asleep watching the BC news on Global.

I arise early 4 am and go for a walk before breakfast, not a soul around just a number of species of birds greeting another great morning. I then wait for Nick who is coming up for the day but when he does not arrive I head fishing. The line is in the water at 6:15.

Nick arrives at 6:30 and we fish together for 3 hours or so. He then gets restless and heads out exployering while I, content with the fish from yesterday am just as happy to relax and enjoy the scenery.

Nothing happens for the next three hours and all I land is a large PM that gives me a bit of a scare for a minute. A river otter appears on the scene hunting the same as me for a fish. I see him surface with a very large PM in his mouth. He toys with it for a while on top of the water. With it laying lifeless in his jaws the otter heads downstream most likely to his den to feed his hungry brood. I wished I had my video camera to film this but left it a home.

Shortly after watching this unusual drama played out Nick returns with a tale of success, he has a fish in the 9 to 10 pound range he tells me. He relates to me how he first had one over twenty close to the beach but with no net the fish shakes the hook after about 5 minutes and gains his escape. :'(

We visit for a while and then Nick is on his way. I fish to 4:45 then pack up and head towards home very pleased with anice spring that will please my wife.

Funny how it goes, fish for 1:30 and get a fish one day, then fish 11 hours the next day and nothing.

Then the Master once again proves himself by out fishing me by hitting two to my one. Glad he did not come yesterday or he may have caught my fish. ;D

All in all a great couple of days to be outdoors even though it rained almost non stop, will take tomorrow off and then the search will continue the next day for another sliver spring. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 11:35:07 PM by chris gadsden »

Uncivil

• 'Geers on Gear
Re: Chasing Springs On The Fraser Once Again
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 11:47:03 PM »

I am surprised that the river is clear enough that float fishing is working?  Must be a significant amount of fish coming through.  Or were you working a creek mouth?  Just curious
We can build it, take me to your Banker!

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 11:55:34 PM »

Hey Chris, when you starting your guiding buisness? 'Maple Leaf Adventures' theres a name for you to use. Thanks for the read. ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 12:41:25 AM »

He'll go broke with Maple Leaf Adventures. Perhaps it will work in Onterrible but not in Canuckland. :D