Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 67140 times)

Dave

• Old Timer

Buck and I were in the closed area this morning, looking at carcasses and fish.  Lots!!  Also, areas where pinks were spawning 2 weeks ago are now dry ... major drought happening and this forcasted rain cannot come soon enough for these buried (deep, we hope) eggs.  Some side channels are also just stranded pools, some with unidentified fry, likely coho, just hanging on.
Rain baby rain ... but not too much ;)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:26:49 PM by Dave »

sumasriver

Saw one  7 lb  wild c and r   today. 

Did not see many chummies in the river  today.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

I'm just interested in seeing my float go down, I don't really care if a boot-dark fish is on the other end (C&Ring anyway).  Tried upper river past borden creek last Thurs and only got one takedown.  Anyone got any suggestions?

Fish the seams where the slow water meets the fast and try casting close to the far shore or back eddies where the fish can't see you...you'd be surprised at what's lurking in those areas.

mvelasco

out today, 10 fish between three of us. some a little colored, one chrome and two massive bucks.
I barely have my float taken down, more of just a slight tug.

robbyvanz

Keith Wilson Bridge was hot.  Guy next to me caught 20+ Chums.  Every second cast, fish on.  There were chums jumping everywhere on the west side.  Not a single bite for me.  When I left, I asked the guy what he was using.  It was just a small piece of red wool.  His leader was about 2 ft. long.  Do people actually eat these fish?  I saw him bonk a few.  Not sure if he is just killing it for the roe.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Retaining more than one chum?

robbyvanz

I saw him bonk 2, so yes.   Isn't the limit 4? 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

No. See the regs.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer

I saw him bonk 2, so yes.   Isn't the limit 4?

Chilliwack/Vedder River (including Sumas River)  upstream from a line between two fishing boundary signs on either side of the Chilliwack River 100 m downstream of the confluence of the Chilliwack River and Slesse Creek.  All  Apr 01-Mar 31  No fishing for salmon. 
from a line between two fishing boundary signs on either side of the Chilliwack River 100 m from the confluence of the Chilliwack River and Slesse Creek downstream including that portion of the Sumas River from the Barrow Town Pump Station downstream to fishing boundary signs near the confluence with the Fraser River.  All  Sep 01-Dec 31  Daylight hours only. 
Coho  Jul 01-Mar 31  4 hatchery marked fish per day. 
Chinook  Jul 01-Dec 31  4 per day, only 1 over 62 cm. 
Chum  Jul 01-Dec 31  1 per day. 
Pink  Jul 01-Dec 31  4 per day. 

robbyvanz

good to know.  Been out there twice now, no fish for me yet.  Caught about 10 zombies last time.  Funny thing is, there was another guy there that actually spoke english, and he told me he caught 3 chum on saturday. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Funny thing is, there was another guy there that actually spoke english

Huh?

robbyvanz

There was a group of guys there when I arrived.  I asked them if they caught anything, and they just stared at me and said "No English".  I don't think they knew what the regs were either because they had multiple chums laying on the beach.   I think there are alot of guys that don't know the Chum limit is 1, or they are blatantly ignoring it. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:27:01 PM by robbyvanz »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

That's a bit ironic, because you didn't know either, as you pointed out a few posts earlier.

robbyvanz

That's a bit ironic, because you didn't know either, as you pointed out a few posts earlier.

yeah I'm a newb.  Would of never kept a chum regardless.  I was confused by the info you have in post one.  The link to the current regulations didn't link properly.  It should be: 

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:01:55 PM by robbyvanz »

sumasriver

Why would anyone going fishing without first studying the regs ?

Would you go hunting  without knowing what you may or may not shoot ?

Crazy stuff happening on our rivers.

Would be great to see DFO seize fishing gear and vehicles for violations.  DFO calls a tow truck and you get your vehicle back a few weeks later after a fine is paid.

I guess seizing car is not really doable if guys are on the water. Surely seizing rod/reel and tackle box is pretty doable.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:13:06 PM by sumasriver »