Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish Grizz  (Read 5268 times)

Knnn

• Old Timer
Squamish Grizz
« on: November 02, 2016, 08:09:34 PM »

A heads up to anyone who fishes the Squamish system, I saw three grizzlies around the 5-6 km mark above the Ashlu Bridge.

I thought they were regular old bears, until someone told me what they truly were.  Gulp! 

Please be bear aware and be safe out there.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish Grizz
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 08:10:35 PM »

Yeah, but did you catch anything?

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 08:12:47 PM »

ahh well now that's a story for another time.

Speyfitter

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 08:55:19 PM »

Usually when guys post stories about grizz that means the fishing was REALLY good.

RG

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 09:05:36 PM »

I saw a grizzly sow and two cubs last year there last year.  Also saw grizzly prints a few weeks ago.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 09:32:41 PM »

That is a sow and 2 cubs and they are very black in colour and they are fishing a side channel with chum in it. She is very people aware and is not a problem.  I don't know why people are surprised that there are grizzly in the Squamish as it is wilderness just to the west of town. Next closest town is Bella Bella to the north. My good buddy is the grizzly biologist for the area and he states that his DNA study of these bears shows that there are about 50 bears seasonally in the watershed. Just as a heads up, they are also on the Cheakamus but generally are nocturnal even though they are occasionally seen and photographed  close to town. The two of us walked in on one last fall on the lwr. Squamish and got within 40 ft. before we saw it. All he said was " Well that's a good size one". His guess was 650 lbs. +

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 10:14:36 PM »

I believe hair snare samples in the Valley indicate the Squamish has a grizzly population of 2 dozen or more individual bears. They are thought to venture very close to the town itself.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 08:07:44 AM »

there are a number of books available about bears, bear attacks and strategies to avoid bear conflicts.

Bear attacks, their causes and avoidance by Stephen Herrero is one that's been around for years. Herrero was a Professor of Animal Behaviour and a recognized authority on bear behaviour - particularly grizzlies.

There is also a lot of good info available from a variety of websites. Basically use common sense. Avoid traveling alone in bear country and not at times bears are most active - dusk, night and at dawn. Make noise in the bush and be aware what's going on around you.  Purpose made capiscum bear repellent spray is your best defence. If traveling in a group each person should have some. Make sure it can be accessed in a second or two.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 11:19:45 AM »

Don't Do This:

https://youtu.be/TEAHXocHIbg

Was that the same bear that later killed him and his partner?

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 11:36:36 AM »

Was that the same bear that later killed him and his partner?

I don't think so. That one was an older and bigger bear that they filmed in the Grizzly Man documentary.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 06:10:03 PM »

Just remember ---- food runs.

Kever

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 07:56:28 PM »

I saw a BIG grizzly at dawn in the Squamish region this year. He was quite uninterested in my buddy and I but I carry bear spray now.